NEED HELP!!!!! I am a new real estate agent seeking a great company/broker that I can join

As a new agent to real estate what is the #1 rank office brokerage firm in my area I can join that has the best successful training programs: Re/Max, Coldwell Banker,Weichert Realtors,Keller Williams in Hudson county???
  • March 08 2013 - Hoboken
  • 3

So everyone talked about how good some firms are, but no one mention anything regarding the charges and the start-up fees. we as new agents would like to know what is reasonable when we are out there trying to decide who to work for/with.  Some companies hire agents just so they can keep their office open out of the monthly charges and fees.  For example KW charges a monthly fee of $100  and that should include E&O insurance. If you are to get your own E&O  it will only cost you about $200 for two years.

I would appreciate some numbers. isn't that why we are out there after all?? 
  • 3 days ago

Congratulations! I understand how important it is to select the right brokerage. Training and commission splits were certainly two key factors for me but ultimately it came down to the team leader. Is that person able to provide effective leadership, motivation, inspiration, real world training, resources, industry insight, etc. Ultimately, I chose Keller Williams because it was the company behind the team leader and secondly because of their in-depth training systems and programs. It was a gut feeling, it felt right, the agents were open and willing to assist me, and my team leader showed a real concern for my success. My clients will benefit because of my affiliation with Keller Williams. I know that it can be challenging to switch brokers but understand that it is an option. If you get the sense that you made the wrong decision, its best not to stick around hoping things will get better. Your career; your business is at stake. If you'd like to hear about my personal experience with Keller Williams as a new agent, reach out any time. Greatest success!
  • November 07

Profile picture for michaliori
[Website deleted by Zillow moderator. See our Good Neighbor Policy.]
  • November 06

I just passed the SC test. It seems to me that Whit's idea is the most practical. I'm not too crazy about spending close to 2 grand on education, insurance and association fees. Is there a company out there that will cover those fees or at least not require them for the new agent?
  • November 01

I am with the K Company of realtors I LOVE it....However I have over 20years of Real Estate but only 1 year under a Broker therefore the paper work and law is a bear I before had only did cash deals with a lot less hassel...The top would be Keller Williams but its costly...GREAT people.....BUT the training is very good...I hope for you the best ...HANG in there!!
  • September 30

Profile picture for zuser20140610110726445
Thank you Jeanne,

There is a lot to consider when joining up with a team and I don't want to waist time with an agency that isn't a good fit! I am curious about if all firms charge for an office, advertising, continuing education, etc and what kind of commission to expect.  I would like to work with an institution that offers frequent in-house training and guidance-which I keep reading that  Keller Williams does.  I guess I will just have to interview various firms to figure out which is right for me...Nonetheless, I welcome any insight you may have.  How long have you been a realtor? What did you find out through the firms you worked with that you wish you would have known before you began...pros cons? Which classes, besides the two required, do you suggest to take before getting a realtor's license?

It is rumored that the real estate business can be cut-throat and demanding [;)], therefore, I want to know that someone will be excited to assist me with learning the ins and outs of the business. 

Thank You,

Nicole 

Which formats  
  • September 30

Profile picture for TopNJAgent
I think most programs to get your license will be adequate - what is most important is the firm you connect with after you have it. I have been with two brokerages with very different approaches and would be more than happy to share my insights if you are interested.

Reach out if you want to talk more....
  • September 28

I have been doing some research on which real estate schools to go with, but would take suggestions if any...online verses in classroom, better instructors, etc.

Thank You!
  • September 26

Come on down to Better Homes Realty.
  • July 01

Profile picture for blackdogconsulting04
Hi There 
Congratulations for your real estate license and if you are looking to join a team where you can leverage and earn profit commission of all the transactions of Real estate , Mortgage and Insurance and also do commercial loans .  
 Join our ERS Team 
  1. Unparalleled support provided by experienced Brokers, Owners and Leaders throughout the organization.
  2. Superb industry training provided at no cost to to our agents, covering all aspects of the real estate, mortgage and insurance industries.
  3. Access to cutting-edge lead-generating technology solutions, including multiple agent websites and robust Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools.
  4. Impressive office facilities with all the necessary equipment to support you.
  5. Family oriented culture spanning a broad base of ethnicity and speaking over 15+ languages.
  6. Structured administrative and staff support providing transaction coordination, auditing, compliance, legal and accounting services.
  7. NO franchise fee, royalty fees, office or desk fee, copier and supplies fee, telephone monthly fee, fax and email usage fee, office supplies and training fees.
  8. Top commission splits with no hidden fees.
  9. Create SIGNIFICANT passive income through team building, recruiting bonuses, profit share programs, and distinguished agent bonuses.
  10. Ability to do MORE - with appropriate licenses, you are able to do Real Estate AND Mortgage. You are even able to take advantage of our revolutionary compensation plan as a licensed Life Agent, if you choose. The power is in YOUR hands. Specialize in one or provide all three services to your clients.
  • July 01

Yes,
I live in Arizona and was wonder who knows a great broker as well. Upon completing my license this summer I would love to connect with a great company.

Thank You!

• June 04

GOT loads of questions on the paperwork side..any help?

• April 20

You've received a lot of great information below. In summary, I'd just mention that interviewing a few places is a great idea if not a must. 

You need to identify the key qualities you want out of your brokerage. For instance, there are several franchises under the Realogy umbrella (a parent company to brokerages such as Better Homes & Garden; Century 21; Coldwell Banker; ERA: and Sotheby's) so each company has similar technology systems in place. 

Even if you've already chosen a company, you'll be coming up on a year and spring tends to be a big "recruiting" season so if you still aren't convinced at your current agency, you may want to interview still with other companies. A lot of franchises are also individually owned and operated which means the same company could potentially have a different office atmosphere. 

Technology I found to be personally one of the key factors when choosing an agency; then the office atmosphere (agents and brokers/broker-of-record). I prefer a more family environment where everyone helps each other out rather than the super competitive atmosphere where you may need to be careful someone "steals" a lead. So interview a few places; take a tour of the office and meet agents. Also if you go to the NAR Convention in November or Triple Play in December, you can usually can network with other agents locally or nationally to hear about what some of their companies offer. 

Remember you should never be "stuck" at a place so feel free to explore your options that will best help you grow your business. If you ever want to explore an ERA office, let me know and I can put you in touch with my broker - he's a great trainer and broker and would be happy to explain the ERA family. 
  • February 20

Profile picture for DanielMotti
Its been a while since you posted this question. I'm now in the same situation as you were before.
I'm curious to find out who did you end up partnering with and why?
  • February 13

There is only one answer that nobody will tell you. The best office is the one that you fell the most comfortable in. I was approached by multiple offices, some of the big three. They all say the same thing to you. Some companies work on a pyramid scheme basis. I was told firshand by the broker that is what the particular company is. Dont get dooped by shiny bells and loud whistles. Go where you feel you will have at hand support. The office needs to fit your personality otherwise you will crash and burn and will regret your real estate career. Avoid the bad taste in your mouth.
  • February 13

Here's the employment interview in a nutshell:

Broker:   Did you get your license?

You:  Yes

Broker:  Can you fog a mirror?

You:  Yes

Broker:  Welcome aboard.

Good advice to find a mentor and a team leader, sometimes the same person and sometimes not.  I am in a tiny brokerage but I am building a fantastic team in NE Florida
  • February 03

Profile picture for money2233
hi  I also just passed my re state. I am trying to see the best fit for companies in West Palm Beach / Ftl area. training, fees, splits and leads. Im motivated and looking to start asap. thank you!
  • February 03

The BEST possible company you can go to is the one that has the best training. Right now you just past a difficult test, you're 50% there.

Now you must learn how to figure out the contracts and disclosures. Here is where the real test comes in. These documents are the most important issue regarding your business. Be sure that whatever office you go to will be diligent in helping you navigate through the mountains of disclosures and will make sure you will have a "paperless" transaction. 

With my last several transactions in Foster City, all of the transactions were put on a disk. 

Training is your next step. 
  • January 30

The number one broker nationwide is Keller Williams. That's because of the culture -  such things as intense in-house training for new agents, great commission splits, profit share, and the ability to one day develop your own company within the company... called a Team. If your goal is to learn how to make money in this business, KW is the place to start.
  • January 27

This question is a lot like asking "What size shoes should I buy?".  The answer is, whatever is the best fit.  Meet with as many brokers as possible and speak to any agents you meet. I've found that a great question to ask an experienced agent is "What office would you consider joining other than your current office?"  Most offices and agents in this area are pretty good.  Find a place that "fits"  and trust your impressions.
  • January 23

Profile picture for sholacoker
Welcome to the club!
The first thing is to interview with at least 3 different companies.  Plenty of agents can say their company is the best, but best for whom?
You will want to partner with a company that meet most of your expectation as well as you meeting theirs...some of the questions to ask when you're interviewing are:

- What is the broker-agent commission split? What other fees are associated with the franchise, how often are they due?

-  What other benefits do you provide to your agents?  - What training programs are available? 

- What times are the training available? (You want to make sure that the training times are flexible, especially if you have other work obligations).

- What forms of marketing do you have available for listings (when homes are sold by sellers ) and sales (when homes are bought by buyers).  Are there a fee charged to agents?

- How is your compensation disbursed after a sale.  (Some companies might direct deposit into your bank  account within 5-7 days of you turning in a commission check and others within 2-3 days.  This plays a part on the due date of your monthly bills.

- Is there an seasoned agent I can shadow and apprentice with to get the experience that I'll need.  (So when you go on your first appointment you've already been exposed to meeting and talking with clients).

- There are continuing education classes that must be taken every 2 years to maintain your license, do you provide those classes on site or at any other location?

If you have these answers upfront, you can make a comfortable decision on which company to partner with.

Hope this helps!

Profile picture for Rebecca Marvel
Join a team at Keller Williams.  It's a great place to learn both by the classes they offer and watching other agents.

I have been selling real estate for 17 years now and if I had to do it all over again  I would suggest you find an experienced agent who is willing to train you. ( What brokerage they work at, is pretty much irrelevant) . 99% of real estate is learned on the job, the other 1 % you can learn online or with a good real estate training book. My advice is to look for a mentor and give them a small percentage. It will be worth it in the long run.

I recently started my Real Estate career with in the last two years. It is very difficult to decide where to begin. There are a lot of companies out there. I have never been on a Real Estate interview where I was told I wouldn't make a great fit there. If you know how to carry yourself, and have had a successful professional career everyone will want you working with them. Because of high turnover rates, many companies have to keep good prospects coming in, especially the larger ones, and yes most benefit in some sort of way from you joining, but you will benefit too, because part of their success will depend on yours. It costs me about $2000 a year just to be licensed, and be part of all my associations. Of course this varies from company to company and state to state. Be prepared for those dues and fees!

Most of the larger companies offer more free training but their splits are lower. When you first start it's nice to have access to all the training, because you need it!! Companies like Coldwell Banker, will offer more office and supply support, but Keller Williams offer the most training programs. You have to decide if need more cash flow, or more training when first starting out.

Marketing is very important, but expensive. At the end of the day this is a people business, and no matter how many things you send out, you still have to get out there and talk to people. Either dive in and do it right, or do what I did and work 2 full time jobs for a year. Neither choice is easy. Ultimately, if anyone wants to be successful running their own business, 100% of their attention should be on it. Real Estate is not a business to dabble in like it used to be. You have to be in it to win it every day.

I don't think it's a great idea to bounce around a lot. Having to replace business cards and printed material can be expensive, and you want to consistent with what you do on a daily basis. I would ask to attend a sales meeting as a guest, or a training class a few times, and get an idea of the culture of the place and who the agents are. See if you like it or not. Larger companies will let you do this. You want to be where you are most comfortable, because that will bring you greater joy and success. 

Congratulations on passing the test! Here in Florida only 30% of the applicants pass the State Test, it has gotten MUCH harder, to keep the people out who are not in the profession for the long haul. Again, great job!

Find the office that has excellent continuing training. I would look at neighbor city dot com and review the agents you see in your area. Find the leaders, ask the companies what they do to be successful. This is a simple business, just follow what others are doing for success (there are a million ways to be successful in RE) and do what comes naturally to you.

Find a mentor/coach, if you can afford it. Normally the top producer could always use someone to help make calls on buyers or sellers, so see if they are open. This is the best way to learn the business.

Best of luck to you,
Liz

Profile picture for CrisLawrence
I completely disagree with Whit Suber. Training is a vital key to a real estate agent's success. I personally work with Keller Williams and the amount of info they provide you is amazing. They also provide scripts to know what to say to your clients. My brokerage offers classes every single day. And the Realtor board...you can't be an agent without joining one. Also, MLS data is vital to be able to not only have buyers something to search for and giving you leads to follow up on, but also so you can give your sellers the correct info needed about the market. Knowing your market should be high on your list of priorities. MLS in South Florida was also free. Board dues are expensive, however, some boards will allow you to make the payments in several installments. Don't waste your money on advertising. That's overrated. Face-to-face and voice contact and handwritten letters/notes will bring you a lot further in your career. No offense, but if you hang around people like Whit, then he is correct and you will not be successful in your career. You MUST hang around others with positive attitudes and those who are successful. Don't be afraid to make yourself known to anyone and everyone you meet, especially on a day to day basis. Even if you do not decide to join Keller Williams, you can search for some of their training programs. Look for Ignite and the daily 10/4. Your career will go to new heights. Just ask yourself, "What is my maximum potential?" You will never know if you don't put forth the effort. The world is at your hands. It's up to you to decide what to do with it. And one more thing...buy two books...."The One Thing" and "The Millionaire Real Estate Agent" by Gary Keller.

It took me a long time to start getting transactions. There is plenty of training on how to-do real-estate The real issue is the training to run your own business, which means first determining the kind of training you need. My need was in people skills and getting past my introverted personality.

The mechanics ,if you will, of real-estate is easy and gets easier every day. Even in just my four years, it has gotten simpler. The people side, and self management side, and self risk taking , are a wholly different matter.

For instance you ask "....to join" but you are not joining, you are purchasing broker services. 

You need to first determine what you need, and that unfortunately can be a costly experience. Running your own business, and that is what you are doing, is a major life style change. I kind of favor the post below by Mike Suber.  I would suggest you go into this slowly, don't quit your day job, or job search just yet.

I do not mean to discourage you, I just hope  you understand many new agents burn through the funds they have to start out, buying services and training that does not resolve the issues they (individually) have getting up and going.

Oh by the way, you might be surprised how many brokers (well TX any way) pay agents recruiting fees, so I also suggest when you are getting sugestions, you ask if the person will receive a recruitement fee off of you.

90% payout, no production requirements, no fees and we pick up E&O and workers comp[self promotion and website deleted  by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

I would recommend Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage. We are Simply The Best! We offer great training for new agents and a lot of support with a non competing manager.. You can call me and I will help you. You really want a large company who owns the largest market share in your area. 

It scares me when anyone says training is overrated..  I say it is underrated.  Keller Williams is not only a great company to work for, but has great training, technology, high achieving agents and moral values.  Something to consider.

1. 1
  2. 2