Profile picture for seh0041

Name Change: Before or After House Purchase?

I just recently got married, and we're starting our house hunting very soon. (We have put in 2 applications for preapproval quotes, and we hope to start actually looking within a week or so.) My question is, should I go ahead and complete the paperwork with the SS office, DPS, etc to get my name changed, or should I wait until after we've made the purchase? I am worried that there will be issues with having a new name on all my paperwork and documents, but still having my maiden name on credit reports, that kinda thing. I'm especially worried about that, because we really can't afford to have to wait around if a problem comes up with the 2 different names. We are really trying to make the Nov. 30 cutoff date.
Please let me know if you have had this come up or if you have any insight. Thanks!
  • September 30 2009 - Dallas
  • 0

It really does not matter.  I had a client 3 month ago that changed her name the week before we closed and did not tell me until the day of closing.  The lender had to redraw docs and we needed to document the change but we closed 2 days later.  I would talk with your lender and see what steps are necessary under both circumstances and then decide which way is the best for you to go so as not to possibly delay your closing.  Lenders are already reporting extended lead times with the tax credit deadline approaching.

I think that to be on safe side you should check with an attorney, or your title company.
.
When you are closing on the property you will be presented with a document that registers all the names that you have used in the past.

Maybe you can have the deed drawn under your married name, although the basic credit reports will be under your maiden name, after all you will still have the same SS#  

Profile picture for agentblu15
My suggestion would be to wait.  There's no downside to holding off on the name-change until all the paperwork is filed, and it could definitely cause some delays and headaches if you change it now and things don't match.

Once you close on the house and make the name-change official, it's then up to you if you want to change the name on your deed.  There's no NEED to change it (the house will still be owned by you, even if under a maiden name), but if you want to change it, all it takes is a simple quitclaim deed to be created and filed.  This could cost a couple hundred buck though, so unless the name on the deed is really important to you, you'd probably be better off leaving it the way it is.