Profile picture for Anukumar

Need Advice: First-time buyer, Credit Score 674, 195K home, downpayment 10%

Would I be better of  with a Fixed rate or ARM? Any chances of getting interest only mortgages for me to build my reserves for 20% downpayment to get a lower rate 30 yr fixed mortgage? 

Thanks in advance for your advise.
  • March 01 2009 - Greenville
  • 1

Best Answer

If you try to get a conventional interest only arm, i dont think you will qualify with a 674 score, plus the rate is much HIGHER than a fixed rate 30 yr. A portfolio arm will generally require 20% down and rates about the same as 30 Yr fixed. 
Compare: 30 Yr at 5.25% = 969/month
    5 Yr I/O at 6% = 877/mo interest payment
Cash flow savings = $91/mo or only $1100 / year. That does not get you the extra $19,000  needed to get to 80% LTV.

Anukumar, the banks in my area go to 85%, some only 80%, and want at least a 720 score to get a piggyback Heloc. When you have 2 loans, the cost of the 1st mortgage goes up due to another adjustment for the combined loan to value, on top of the score adjustment. 

Profile picture for Anukumar
Thanks very much for your suggestions. I will go the fixed rate route. Waht would my chances of getting a small home equity for the 10% gap. In otherwords can I get 2 loans one for 80% of the value and the other for 10%. The idea being we can repay the smaller loan faster and not be struck with a higher payments for 30 yrs. Plus save money on refinancing.

CB--

You can only give the illustrious "Best Answer" designation if you had asked a 'question' not started a 'discussion'.  Your'e SOL buddy.

Thats right! Plastic Baby Rules, unless plan B has to be put into action. Anukumar, thanks for the best answer, that's a 1st. BTW, how do you give that, I need to give best answer to someone else on another thread and cant figure it out, LOL.

Profile picture for Entitlements R Us

Thats right, rates are near historic lows and according to the plastic baby, they will be at historic lows again sometime in the next two weeks

Profile picture for Anukumar
I was wondering if I could have a low interest loan by doing a ARM or Interest only so that by the end of the year i would have the remaining 10% and hopefully my credit score would be 700+ for me to refinance at low fixed rates. 
Would this be a worthwhile considering all the closing costs?

Not sure what you mean about the interest only and reserves? If you are buying with 10% down and 674 fico, then go FHA. If you can wait until you build your reserves ( best ) to 20%, then you can get a conventional loan with no MI and it also gives you time to get your score over 700. DO NOT get an interest only loan, probably not available to you anyway.

Take a fixed rate loan. Rates are near historic lows.