Need Advice Regarding Austin

Hello all,
My family and I live in Temecula, California. We recently went on a road trip to Austin and fell in love with the city. I am a Marriage/Family Therapist and my wife is a Cosmetologist by trade. We have a 4 year old and a 1 year old. We are wondering what suburbs of Austin are best for our family? We can afford up to 600k and would like 2+ acres of land. I am an outdoor person. So, I would love to be able to hit a river or nice lake. I also would like to live in a city where there is a well established economy (even if that economy not the largest). We both would likely not need to hit central Austin for jobs. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
  • October 29 2012 - Austin
  • 0

Welcome to Austin! Interview some Realtors, and then go tour some the areas that you are interested in with your agent. Listening, professional advising, experience, and timely reponses are competencies that I utilize in working with my clients.

I am biased to Southwest Austin, particularly Lake Travis and Dripping Springs areas. There are excellent schools in North and West Austin. Dripping Springs, Westwood, and Eanes School districts are some I would suggest checking out online if you want to jumpstart your research. It sounds like you know what you want, and will recognize the perfect new home when you see it.

If you want property and proximity to the lake, take a look at areas near Volente ( Lime Creek Road or 2769), Trails End Road.  Travis Settlement (Subdivision), Destiny Hills (Subdivision), Jonestown (City), Hudson Bend (Road).

We have lived and worked around Lake Travis for 12 years!  LOVE IT!!!

The neighborhoods and areas above will give you great lake access, as well as keeping you within 15-20 minutes of shopping and entertainment.

Another area to check out that will keep you close to Lake Austin and offer you more than a postage stamp lot is property off City Park Road or the 2222 corridor.

Good luck.  If you find yourself back in Austin any time soon, give me a call.  I'd love to give you the "lake tour".

Have a great weekend,
Gina Nyland, REATLOR, GRI, e-pro
The Nyland Team
[Contact information and website removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

You'll probably want to check out Cedar Park and Leander (NW of Austin up the Hwy 183 growth Corridor). That will put you close (enough) to Lake Travis and also offer 2+ acre home sites in your price range.

If the lake access becomes less of an issue, check out Dripping Springs, SW of Austin where you can find hill country properties on acreage.

Finally, West of Austin off Hwy 71 between Bee Cave and Spicewood offers good access to the south side of Lake Travis and also rolling hill country terrain.

Personally, having owned lake property, I wouldn't make it too high of a priority. The rivers and lakes in Texas are susceptible to drought and extreme level changes. In other words, lots of "lake" property right now is dry in front, so it's not working out too well for those owners. It's better to simply place yourself where you have good access, but don't pay a premium for that access. Anywhere within 30 minutes of the lake (as all the areas I suggested are) is good enough.

Good luck.
Steve

You will join a large group of transplanted Californians.  A lot will depend on the type, age, size, etc. of home as well as the overall character of the community you're looking for, but I would think west and Southwest Austin might be appealing to you for various reasons.

I would also recommend you consider a short-term rental of 6 months (or even a year) to get acclimated to Austin and the suburbs.  This will give you time to see what different geographical areas have to offer and will help you make a wise purchase based on knowledge of the overall landscape.

Guy E. Gimenez   ABR, CRS, GRI
Broker / Owner
[contact information removed by Zillow moderator]

Profile picture for TheRobillardGroup
The same thing happened to my wife and me 30 years ago and we still love it here.

There are lots of options in Austin that will meet your basic criteria. The first step will be to become more familiar with the area and narrow your search a bit. One option to consider would be the Lakeway area, which gives you good access to Lake Travis. 

Send me a note if you'd like to trade some ideas on the area and your options. 

Thanks for posting your question on Zillow.com!

I suggest searching for Realtors in the Austin area on Zillow.com, reading their reviews by their past clients to select a good one.  If that does not work, I can research agents in the Austin area to suggest a full time, qualified one.

Good luck, reach out to me if you need.

If you don't get any replies on Zillow from a Realtor, let me know; I can refer you to a great Realtor in Austin.

Chad Gray PA, Realtor
Luxury Living Fort Lauderdale
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate

[Promotion removed by Zillow moderator]