Profile picture for tone3982

Need a determined realtor

I am trying to locate a Realtor that has the confidence, and ability to sell a house in this market. I like to be informed continually changing market conditions, and a plan of action to sell my house.

January 04 2009 - Woodridge

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. The burden of selling a house falls on the seller, not the agent.

In reality, agents are a marketing tool, beyond that there is little else they can do beyond exposure. It does not take confidence by an agent to get it sold. It takes a buyer willing to pay you for it and in this market, buyers have so much more choice that you, the seller, must be ahead of all the others in price and presentation. You will need and agent who will be brutally honest with you and tell you what to change, repair, remove or whatever from the property, where and why tp price it accordingly and the ability to provide a superior MLS presentation. I have found that MLS descriptions are realtors biggest marketing failures with mis-spelling, poor grammar, inadequate photos and inaccurate details.

Remember, you are selling, the agent is just a marketing tool.

Hi Gina, Ash_Lee here from Zillow -

Please avoid solicitation. We do not allow it here on Zillow. You may just address the question posted instead.

Additionally, no need to provide your contact details on your comments. The users can go to your profile page to view your contact details.

Profile picture for diggitys
Hi Where is your property located?

Tone,

Have you thought about promoting the "finance angle"?

If you can show a potential buyer that the fixed mortgage payment associated with purchasing your home is lower than what they thought was possible, you will improve your chances of securing a legitimate offer.

You accomplish this end by paying points on the buyers behalf to help them obtain a super low rate.

You get a good price for your home, the buyer gets a great low payment. Good for all!

[content removed by moderator for being self promotional]

Profile picture for dfors2
My best luck in this market was FSBO with discount brokerage (paid $299) to get on MLS.  Kept the price low and was open to trading down or owner financing.  I tried standard realtors for 15 months with no luck.

agents are saying they can help you without even knowing where your property is!!!

Let me explain why: they will call an agent near you, and get that agent to pay them a referral fee for your business.

Do you really want to give part of your selling fees to a random unknown agent from zillow??????

get referals for a good agent near your home, and interview a few until you find one who you are confidant in.

There may be many determined Realtors for you, but the first question is where are you?

Good Afternoon:

You are right to take a proactive approach when trying to sell one's home.  It is very important that the seller along with the agent/broker company work together especially in this market.  Finding a committed and hard working agent that will work with you and your objectives are key.  In today's market, it is even more important to be realistic about a home's price and price it according to those around you and not just by want you or think your house is worth.  This is way a current market analysis on your home and to inform you of what is happening in your neighborhood is so important.  These objectives, of course should be taken into account but the seller needs to be realistic.  I would recommend interviewing a couple of agents from leading real estate companies in your area.  Besides listening to his or her's marketing plan ask yourself the following questions:

1)  Do I feel a connection and like the agent I am interviewing?
 2)  Does the agent understand my situation and is willing to work with me and keep me in the loop on the happenings with my house? (Accountable) Or am I just going to be another listing for this agent???
3)  Is the agent excited and willing to work hard for me?  What makes him or her stand out?
4)  Ask for some past references and call them to ask them how the service was. 

Having the right person and company represent and assist you in the sell of your home is key to having a rewarding experience regardless of the type of market we are experiencing.  Homes do and will sell regardless of what is happening or not happening in the world and it will always come down to Price.

Good luck and Have a nice day!

I would suggest that you read this blog post discussing some common tips for selling your home in any real estate market under almost any market conditions:

http://activerain.com/blogsview/827618/Overview-Selling-a-Home-101

I don''t sell homes in Illinois but can send you some names if you are having difficulty finding a Realtor.  I would suggest that you take a look at Realtors on ActiveRain.com in your area. 

First, by participating on Zillow.com, ActiveRain.com, etc., they have shown an interest in using technology to sell homes.  Over 85% of purchasers are now using the internet in some part of the home buying process.  Use of technology increases exposure; exposure increases leads and traffic; and traffic drives showings and sales.

Second, you can read their individual blogs before you make a selection.  It will give you a good idea what is their business philosophy, what is their background and experience, and what types of homes they sell. 

I wish you good luck in selling your home. 

Profile picture for jimmy57
"I like to be informed continually changing market conditions, and a plan of action to sell my house."

Really? Okay, I'm very cynical, but this sounds like Realtor-speak to me, not like a "civilian."  Is this for real, or just a slow-pitch for REAs?

Dear Tone,
I suggest you interview several Realtors before zeroing in on one. See who "clicks" with you.  Find one that actually answers the phone or calls you back within 24 hours. Have them show you what they have done for other listing clients. Ask them lots of questions like: tell me about your marking plan? Can you show me marketing plans or flyers for past listings?  how long do your listings stay on the market before selling? how often will it be held open? will the house be included on local property tours? This is a good start. I am sure you will be able to find someone that will be able to effectively market and sell your house. Good luck!
Betina

Your questions and concerns are what most sellers want but very few receive. Usually, the best answers will come when asking those questions to friends and co-workers who can point you in the right direction. Ask them, those very same questions and get recommendations from these same people. If the same name(s) keep coming up interview 2-3 agents and pick the one that your instincts (gut) tells you to pick.  

I agree, get a referral from someone that you know and trust and then interview them and see how you feel.  THere is a lot of emotion in real estate.  Another good way to check out agents is to go to their open houses and see how they treat the people coming through.  If an agent is not doing them, it should make you wonder why.

I don't agree with what Laura said about checking out an agent at an open house. Reason being is GREAT agents don't usually hold open houses. We know they are a poor form of prospecting or low impact type prospecting. Besides, quite often, the people holding the open house are rookie agents, most of the time.

Profile picture for stew235
The post by jconstant amazes me...this realtor thinks it is not his/her job to sell your house...can you believe that attitude.  They claim that a realtor is just a marketing tool, and it is up to the seller to sell the house.  That is obviously written by someone who has been in the business too long, and can't see the new way of dealing with customers.  If a realtor isn't there to sell my house, then why am I paying them 5-6%.  That post gives us all amazing insight into the attitude of some realtors.  

Hi  there, my suggestion to you is to interview several agents you have selected from personal recommendations and/or also screening agent websites.  Since you are posting your inquiry here on Zillow, I presume that internet presence and knowledge is important to you and well it should be.  Your home has a higher likelihood of selling due to smart internet promotion and any other single factor - and so a large part of the determination your agent should demonstrate is determination to maximize the exposure of your home online.

I am always surprised - and disappointed - when sellers just pick the first agent they bump into - don't get me wrong, it is a windfall for the agent sitting at a desk who is lucky enough to get the "walk-in" or "call in" and we all hope for such luck.  But selecting an agent is too important a decision just to throw caution and good judgement to the wind. 

Dear Tone,

As you can see by the amount of views and comments on your posting, we Realtors are viewing a multitude of mediums to develop new relationships. Additionally, I do not intend to compete with the attractive portfolio of agent representation on this post, but would like to add one point. Because agents are 100% commission driven to support their lives and family needs, and the ones that have survived the past 3.5 years, I would say determination is in our blood.  So my advise - choose by character, good relationship, and someone that cares about you and what you are going through. Ofcourse price, location, amenities will speak volumes, but at the end of the day the process and the outcome is the only thing you'll remember.

Mario

The key in picking a listing agent is to make sure of the following:

1) The agent is full time
2) The agent is aggressive - proactive not reactive
3) Strong negotiator
4) The agent has sold properties that other brokers were unable to.
5) Great Internet presence
6)Has good testimonials

Luis Fernandez

I recommend that you ask family and friends who have used a Realtor.  If they are happy with their Realtor and the Realtor services your area, that is your best bet.

February 10 2009
This is a re-post from another thread, I hope it helps!

When you do decide to move forward, here are a few things you may want to to ask the agents you interview:

-What percentage of your business focuses on sellers and listings?  (as opposed to buyer driven transactions)

-How much did you spend advertising your listings last year?  (All Realtors will know this, especially since it is approaching April 15th.  Be wary of those who rely only on free or inexpensive routes..you can do "free" yourself!)

-Where do you spend the bulk of your advertising money, and how has that source proven effective for you?

-Do you have your own website?  How many hits do you average per month?  (Not a company website with your photo.  A website such as "RealEstateCompany.com/agent name" is a giveaway that it is a company site!)

-What is your specialty?  Ask for proof in the form of listings and sales. 

-What is the most recent marketing change you have made, and why?  (A good Realtor should always be on the lookout for the next best thing in terms of marketing.  Tracking marketing results lets you know that the agent is on top of things, a leader rather than a follower.)

-Where did you rank last year in terms of sales (in your company)?  A top producer will know this number and be happy to share it with you!)

-How many listings do you market at any one time?  (Make sure they have enough to make you feel comfortable, but not so many that your home gets lost in the shuffle and becomes a number.)

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!  I hope this information is helpful to you.

February 22 2009
Profile picture for rockinblu
"The post by jconstant amazes me...this realtor thinks it is not his/her job to sell your house...can you believe that attitude."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stew235,
Yes, I certainly can. For the over whelming amount of houses for sale, agents show and market them. They do not "sell" a house. Buyers buy  houses that sellers are selling. Get the used car mentality out of your head when it comes to someone buying a house. Generally speaking I would imagine if a house is hard sold in that manner, you could expect problems to develop all the way up to closing, if it ever closed, and even after. Next time you criticize an agent, do it when you know what you are talking about. jkonstanat happens to be one of the most honest upfront agents on this site, and Trulia as well.

As for as responding to tone3982's post, maybe it might be a good idea for him/her to read this blog

You will get this error message

Page not found

Sorry, the page you were looking for in the blog rockinblu's blog does not exist.

Click on the link anyway.

February 22 2009

Thanks for the kind words rockinblu.

Stew235, I think you took my comment to suggest a listing agent does nothing when in fact I simply stated it is the seller who is selling. My point is don't blame the listing agent when you cat litter box is full during a showing or you leave your dog tied up in the back yard. One of my favorites are all those cute drawings by the 4 year old stuck on the fridge. Or what about the "No today won't be good for us." answer when I try to set up a showing. Then of course there is the denial about a problem discovered by the home inspector.

All too often seller and listing agent can be at odds with each other. An agent can do everythng right and still hears, "But Joe down the street sold his for a lot more two years ago." when presenting a suggested price.

It is the agent that exposes the property, it is the seller who has to put on a show every day. I think the biggest mistake listing agents make (and I am guilty much of the time) is not taking sellers out to look at half a dozen homes so they can see things like a buyer sees them.

February 22 2009
WoW! Well I'm going out on a limb and say you might be looking for a miracle worker and not an agent. 

Where is the property located and what are the actual prevelent market conditions?

Most full time agents I know are determined and aggressive. Have you spelled out your "agent" desires locally? Maybe it isn't the agent who is a poor communicator?

If you asking more than the market will bring you may have a long wait.
Hope this helps.

February 22 2009
Have you asked for a referral from friends or family?
It sounds like you need a tech savvy agent who can take advantage of all the new innovations that are coming out to keep you informed and show you how you can be up to the minute and totally involved in the process.  A lot of the info you want can be set up to come to you automatically.
When you are interviewing, make sure you ask how they will communicate and make sure they are comfortable in multiple mediums.
Good luck

The thing you need to remember is to take your Realtors advice about getting your property ready to sell. As Realtors we see many more homes than your average human, and we see what sells and what sits on the market forever. So when we say, repaint this room or remove wallpaper, and de-clutter we are not being critical. We are telling you this so your house will move. We are not telling you that someone else won't appreciate your taste in decorating, what we are saying is you need to appeal to the most common denominator. We want your house to sell just as much as you do. Your Realtor should work to effectively market your home on every source available. Find a Realtor that listens to you and will work to market your home. Often agents that only have a few listings can be more pro-active about showing your home than an agent that has 30 listings. Find someone that you can relate to and communicate with. I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if I can help. Have a great 2009!
Betina

How did this work out for you?

Use a Realtor that is a new agent and he or she is hungry. Be specific how do you want the agent to inform you/keep in touch. Hold a lot of open house.

I would say to look at several REALTORS, check references, and ask about the things that are important to you... such as keeping you updated.  Reading testimonials from an agent's past clients can also give you some insight.

A good point was made, that being in this market you need an expert marketer.  Good photos, virtual tours, and top exposure will get your home sold... IF your home is presented properly and at the right price.

Your REALTOR should give you some constructive feedback, and if something needs to be changed, go ahead and change it.   It will make the process less stressful in the long run.

Good luck with the sale of your home!

I think that different people just click and work together well. It would be in your best interest to call 3 agents out and interview them with a list of questions. Ask about fees, advertising, experience etc...If some one shows up prepared with comparable sales and a marketing plan that would speak volumes to me.Patti

Need a determined realtor
Profile picture for Lookingtobuy2010
Latest reply by Lookingtobuy2010

1. 26 Mashie Ct, Woodridge, IL Home For Sale
    26 Mashie Ct, Woodridge, IL 60517

2. 3 Oakview Ct, Woodridge, IL Home For Sale
    3 Oakview Ct, Woodridge, IL 60517

3. 261 Rockhurst Rd, Bolingbrook, IL Home For Sale
    261 Rockhurst Rd, Bolingbrook, IL 60440