Profile picture for essarebee

Need advice about selling house, keeping some acreage

I have a modest ($75K) house on 7.5 acres in a rural, poor area.  I want to sell the house and several lots, and also keep some land.  How do I go about this?  Can I survey with out paying up-front?  Should I improve the lots with driveway pipe and gravel?  Will a realtor handle all phases of this?  I need to be steered in the right direction to get started.  I have limited cash and limited time/energy.  

October 30 2012 - Hurt

If you are thinking about selling a part of your land, you need to contact the county and find out how you can subdivide you lot and then sell a part of it and keep a part.

additional things to consider- although it is rural is it in a city limit? or county area where there are restrictions on lot sizes and dimensions?  check with local municipalities (actually a good agent should guide you through this too ) but you want to visit with the local officals yourself as well- just have the agent be there to assist you and help you forsee obstacles/concerns.   There will most likely be special considerations unique to your area and your property that you won't get from basic online answers.  
you do want to get it divided before hand so that potential buyers have a clear understanding of what is offered for sale and what is not.

gravel and pipe are not that expensive but if the work is not done right or not done to minimum county standards (if they exist) then it wasn't money well spent- so find out about those details too.

Even though you have limited funds, I suggest that you consult with an attorney who handles residential real estate matters, so you handle the process properly.  After that, then I suggest that you work with a Seller's Agent to market your properties.