Profile picture for lenny2000

Need critique on my listing

I am having no luck selling my home, I have it priced right and on forsalebyowner.com # 20701900 and on zillow, 109 nw summerville ct. 34986.
CouldI have some constructive critique and marketing advice to help sell my home.
My e-mail is lboro19766@aol.com

Thanks so much for any professionals help in advance.

Ps I am not asking to list with a realtor at this time.

Lenny
  • September 27 2007 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for hamiltt
Take out the date stamp from the pictures. Take the trash can out of the kitchen picture. Lower your price by $40,000.

Profile picture for Alan May
I have no problem with FSBO-ing, but without the MLS component, you're wasting your time, 'cause you don't have enough exposure... and there are plenty of FSBO or limited service companies that will put you on the MLS for a minimal charge.

Profile picture for kedoherty
At first glance, it would help to have a professional photographer take photos of your home with a wide angle lens. The bedroom photos only show the beds and corner of the rooms, making those rooms look extremely small. Also, too much furniture in the living room and you need a rug in the living room to "warm" the room. The tile gives a "cold" feeling to the room.

Agree on taking new photos and on your last pic where dining room furniture is suggest rearranging as it looks like it is almost against the wall on right side. You will definitely need more internet exposure as stated above.
Good luck!!

Profile picture for robin398
Don't lower the price of your home. Think "out of the box" and be creative in advertising.

I'm just a home seller, been the route of buyowner, flat fee, and discount broker...I guess i've learned my lesson, i dont know why anyone would not get the best agent in the area and let them do their job for me.

I was asking my brother in law's advice earlier this evening, and he hit the nail on the head

he said why be penny wise and pound foolish

maybe i just got a little too much sun today, put two pennies worth in.

but good luck in your venture

Profile picture for Luv2cook
I don't see the photos as a problem...date or no date. I thought they were pretty good and gave a real good feel of the house. I would add maybe a scan or photo of a floor plan if you have one from the original builder.

Now, as for the livingroom. I see this HUGE gap between all the heavy couches and chair and then the tv/enterainment center. I looks like a tough room to lay out - long and narrow? Maybe you could try to arrange it different - more balanced. Maybe remove one of the couches - keep just one chair and one couch. Close that big gap with something - draw the furniture and rug into that space somehow. It may look weird to you at first because you are so use to seeing it this way for so long - but to a new person like me - it is a red flag.

As a buyer (and when my escrow closes - I officially am one) - I would say...hmmmm, I will be spending a lot of time in this room and it doesn't seem to work well with the tv and furniture. You need to make it work better - somehow.

Hope I've helped. :-)

Let's sell your house... right now... for free.

Make sure your house is in good condition and shows great. Often times you can just rent a public storage to make things look better. Make sure the house is available to show anytime by anyone.

Look at comps. Figure out by seeing CLOSED sales what fair market value is. Then price your house at 10% below market level. If you get a ton of showings and no offers then lower the price after 2-3 weeks by 5%. If you have no interest in the property after 2-3 weeks lower the price by 10%. Before each price reduction write a FULL offer to the buyers who showed any kind of interest on the property for the price you will be lowering to. Do that until the house sells.

Make sure you offer a minimum of 3% to buyers agent. And be sure follow up with everyone who's seen the property and get their feedback.

This is what you need to do to sell in this market. Find an agent that has the courage to tell you what you need to do. Any agent relying on Open Houses or Newspaper ads you should stay away from. No amount of advertising works if you are overpriced.

That's it... Unfortunately, it's a tough pill to swallow and it takes most home sellers too long and a lot of lost equity before they accept it.

When realtors plan showings, it's said they will show no more than 3-5 homes in a neighborhood to a new client the first time out.

If you want yours to be among those shown, the price, condition, incentives and marketing efforts should be in the top 3-5 in your area.

In the case of a for sale by owner, your marketing efforts have to be at least as good as the others if you want realtors and their clients to know it is available. Once they learn it's on the market, you have to be sure they perceive it as easy to show (that it is accessible in a reasonable time frame). To take the risk of working with someone they may perceive as lacking training, they need to trust that you will be professional and as easy to work with as a listing agent could be expected to be.   

You may feel less frustrated to know that according to a summer report from a trusted and well known boker in the area, less than 30% of the more than 5,000 Charleston area realtors have been able to sell one of their own listings in the last year. 

It is a challenge, but it can be done. Good luck!

Have you looked at other homes in your area that are for sale? Do you know your competition?  Your efforts will either sell your house, or someone else's.  If you do not have the WOW house on the market in your area, you are helping someone else sell.  You become the WOW house with good staging and correct pricing.

I would also encourage you to at least get your house listed on the MLS, even if you do not hire a full service realtor.

Profile picture for PotentialOhioBuyer

House has sold folks.