Profile picture for DC Ranch owner

Need discounted agent/broker

Hi any real estate agents/brokers available to sell a home in DC Ranch for a discounted rate.  We cannot pay the full 5-6% because we would have a loss in gain on the home after paying that amount in fees to an agent.  The home is perfect and sells itself.  We just need help in paperwork/legal help etc. 
We can/will show the home if needed as well.  I basically want to do a FSBO but need to list the home on MLS and need a little guidance.  It will not require a lot of time.  Thanks!

North scottsdale, DC Ranch, sell, model home

• September 26 2013 - North Scottsdale
  • 0

Profile picture for neilbrooks
Dear Mr. Seller:

Depending on your location in DC Ranch, I'd be interested in talking with you........Check out my profile in Zillow,and if you want to talk further feel free to send me a quick email.

Take care,

Neil

Hello again!  In my opinion, a 3% total commission could be a bit too low.  From my experience, I would offer at least 2.5% to the buyer's agent and 1 to 1.5% to the listing agent for a total of 3.5 to 4%.

I recommend this because even though virtually all agents won't allow it to affect what homes to show their clients, it's possible that you run the risk of decreased showings (if it's 2% or less) as the buyer's agent's commission is detailed in the MLS listing for every agent to see.

Of course, with a listing commission of 1%, there wouldn't be a huge marketing budget available to the listing agent.  A well written MLS listing with multiple photos and an open house or two would be adequate I would think; increasing it to even .5% (to 1.5%) would allow for a bit more print advertising.  I always budget at least a 'new listing' postcard to be sent out to the immediate neighborhood regardless of the sales price or commission.

That being said, I think most agents would agree that the MLS and the corresponding photos are very critical elements of the listing, if not the most critical because that is what the consumer (buyer) sees when they shop for homes on the web.  Close to 90% of ALL buyers start searching for homes on the internet when they begin the home-buying process, so that first 'web' impression is extremely important.

It sounds like you're motivated to sell and have a good plan, but the next step is to look at your homes value and make sure it is priced to sell.  Otherwise you could be looking at a long time on the market if it's overpriced compared to the competing listings in DC Ranch.

Thanks again for the question!

Jim Mitchell
Realty ONE Group

Profile picture for DC Ranch owner
Thanks everyone for your great feedback!  I do want to use an agent, but one who will take 3% vs 6%.  Even if that means splitting 1.5% to buyer and seller agent.  Is that possible or will the agent not bring buyers to the client knowing there is less commission?

Profile picture for Chad Arend
You could easily sell yourself short by going to the FSBO route, even with a discounted broker that charges a flat fee to list the property in MLS. As previously mentioned, the Zillow estimates can be hit or miss.   Sure, you save paying commission to agents, but what if you underprice it by 5-10%?  Most investors will attack a FSBO, looking for low pricing and even try and reduce the purchase price with various inspection tactics.   I'm sure you can work out a good deal with a reliable agent that fits the commission structure you are looking for, as well provides value with an agent looking out for your best interests.  

Chad Arend

Sure I would be happy to help out.  Give me a call or an email.

Hello DC Ranch. Have you had a pre-appraisal on your home or at the very least has a Realtor completed a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) to establish a value?  You might be surprised at the results; it could be higher (or lower) than you think.

I know you probably looked at the 'Zestimate' here on Zillow, but keep in mind, those are computer algorithms that don't know the condition of your home nor do they look at other important local market factors.

Right now, there are 55 homes either 'Active' or 'Pending' in DC Ranch.  In the past 180 days, there have also been 55 'Closed' sales.

There doesn't appear to be a shortage of 'inventory' in DC right now, but if your home is priced correctly it should sell in around 90-100 days.  (The AVG DOM (days-on-market) for all 110 of those homes I mentioned above is 91 days.)

As for commissions and fees, you would still need to offer a 'co-broke' to a buyers agent which is a percentage of the total listing commission.  Typically, it's split between the listing agent and the buyer's agent.  I can definitely offer you a reduced fee that we can discuss once we've established a list price for your home.

I would be more than happy to complete a 'net' sheet with ALL of your closing costs at various sales prices.  This would show you the net proceeds after all fees at the close of escrow.  Of course, I would also complete a CMA to see where your home falls in the current range of values for the properties in DC Ranch.

There are no hassles or sales pitches, just honesty and integrity.  I can also offer references if you like.

Feel free to contact me through my Zillow profile at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for the question!

Jim Mitchell
Realty ONE Group

One of the benefits of hiring a Realtor is the knowledge and negotiation skills that they possess.. If the compensation is an issue at that higher percentage, perhaps interviewing a few in your area and seeing if you can get them down a couple of points.

Selling oneself can be more difficult than it seems... Knowing what to say and what not to say is important..

There are many ways to solve your needs.  There are things to look out for both on who is placing your home on the MLS, how you take advice, and marketing methods that are outside the box that you may miss.  Feel free to reach out anytime to go over what to Truly expect.

I would be happy to assist you. Please give me a call so we can discuss details.