Profile picture for Truebuyer

Need help finding a good realtor in Connecticut!

I am looking to purchase a house but am having a hard time find a good, reliable, responsive relator in my area.  I have tried referrals from friends and reviews but the realtors I speak to seem to promise big things but are not great about retuning phone calls, setting up showings or not passing on information.  I am ready to purchase but getting really frustrated with the home buying process.   Can anyone offer suggestions for find a realtor that is a good fit and will aggressively help me find a house?

October 25 2013 - Town of Stonington

"I have made contact with a realtor in my area who seems very capable."
That's great news. I hope you find a terrific house soon. Happy hunting :)

Profile picture for Truebuyer
Thank you for your responses. I was feeling a bit desperate when i wrote my question. I have made contact with a realtor in my area who seems very capable. I think it will be a positive working relationship.

Go search the "find a pro," "real estate agents" in Stonington, CT and read through the profiles of the agents to see who stands out to you. Getting prequalified for a mortgage loan is also a good idea if you haven't already done so. I am a CT based mortgage broker. Best of luck! 

Hi--I wish I could help but Stonington is out of my area--however I would be glad to refer someone wonderful there. Let me know. Mary Ann

Hi paxrivermove,

As an Accredited Buyer's Representative, I pride myself in assisting buyers through the entire process, from contract to close and beyond.  I specialize in working with buyers, especially First Time Homebuyers.

Feel free to read my reviews on Zillow.  If you'd like to schedule a buyer counseling session, I am happy to do so.  Please feel free to reach out to me...............Shoreline Homes Girl!

Regards,

Michelle L. Mayo, REALTOR
Accredited Buyers Representative (ABR)

Hi Paxrivermove,

Sorry to hear of your frustration.  Buying a home can be emotionally taxing.  Since you've said referrals from friends and reviews has not resulted in your finding an agent you are comfortable, I only have a few more ideas to share with you.

IMHO, you need to find an agent who's a good match with you in terms of their skill set and personality.  You can test the waters by meeting in person after you make contact via phone/email and there should be no pressure to rush to the alter and you becoming obligated to that agent for months on end.  A good agent will be able to tell you if your expectations are realistic or not.  Even then, I don't rush out to show client's properties until I learn more about their needs.

Passive aggressive trumps aggressive any day in my book. Aggressive agents may not be able to seal the deal and negotiate well on your behalf.  

Taking baby steps with an agent you just met should be possible as it's OK to have Buyer Representation for a single property and short time frame.  Then, you and the agent can decide if you are a good match for each other.  If not, you move on and they focus on servicing other's needs.

I shared some ideas on the home buying process (hotlink deleted by Zillow moderator0  that may help.

Any other questions?

Greg Hanner, Broker, REALTOR, e-PRO