Profile picture for aaron taravella

Need help selling a home in Ocala, FL

Since there are no standard Realtor fees, what is the best way to find out what a particular Realtor charges to list and sell my house, without calling hundreds of Realtors? Realtors do not advertise their fees on their web sites and they are reluctant to tell me over the phone their fee structure. 

My house is located in Candler Hills in Ocala Fl on a golf course and is worth about $150,000. I own the house outright and plan to list at a competitive price. 

I am looking for an Ocala Realtor willing to provide a standard full-service MLS listing, including postings on the primary realty web sites. I want a Realtor that will show my house, hold an open house, and handle all offers coming in from other offices. I am willing to pay either an upfront listing fee of $1,000 or, instead, a 1.5% listing commission at closing. In addition, I will pay a 3% selling commission to the selling broker. The listing broker will be paid the full selling commission if they sell the house.
  • December 17 2013 - Ocala
  • 0

How is your home selling going?  

Hi Aaron,

1st,  I have bunch of listing but there have been placed by the magazines I advertise in.   I knew they were posted in Zillow  I just had not realized that they did not link back to me, I only joined Zillow on 12-17-13. b I will be getting this corrected tomorrow after I finish my rounds of checking my vacant properties.

You are correct that internet listings are the only real advertising medium out there but most sellers want no stone left unturned.

The big deal is REALTOR.COM.   It is not FREE for realtors except for the basic which does little to highlight the house, limiting the house and not allowing custom narrations beyond that which is already in the MLS (it copies the MLS text).   There are upgrades REALTOR.COM that top agents apply to set the house apart.   Also,  there are various Visual Tours out there which require a professional photographer to shoot and compile.   Just one or two web sites will not EXPOSE the house to the entire buying public.   The main goal is to EXPOSE the house to as many buyers as possible through the use of several web appearances.  The more buyers that see the house the more showings you will get.  The more showings will result in more potential of offers, the more offers the better the offers.

We just closed on one where the Open House garnered 2 Offers directly, 3 came from buyers who saw the house on the internet and a 6th came from another agent' recommendation.   MULTIPPLE OFFERS (all with-in 24 hours of each other.  We notified each buyer and ultimately the house sold for $34,000 above list price.  

You are correct, there are no "Standard Commissions",   I do have my standard commission and when I talk about cutting my pay I am referring to my own.   I know what my talents and time is worth.  I know what I can do for a customer.    I will not begrudge anyone for working for less, I'm sure they know what their time is worth too.   What irks me are the agents that stumble through the process and get paid the same or better than I!

With over 200 steps to selling a house properly on the Listing side and another 200 on the Buyer's side a good agent earns every penny.   

Have you found a Realtor to help you with selling your house yet? Let's do it together. You may email me or give me a call. 

[deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Profile picture for aaron taravella

Ms. Polack: I do want to pay a full commission for full service! I believe a local full-service Realtor provides an essential function for the housing market and that the "by owner" approach is ill-advised. The commission I am proposing (1.5% listing/3% selling) seems reasonable and fair to me, given the cost savings for the listing Realtor provided by "recent" technology (digital cameras, Internet advertising, and Internet access to housing records, and so on). I understand that the selling function is still fairly time-consuming and warrants a higher compensation. By the way, the sarcasm wasn't lost on me.

You will better be served by listing FSBO that way you will save the whole commission!!!

Profile picture for aaron taravella

Dan:

For a full-service Ocala Realtor my house would be a great listing as opposed to a short-sale listing or a foreclosure listing. I am asking only for Internet advertising, which is the only effective advertising these days and which is essentially free for Realtors.

Plus, on top of the 1.5% listing commission at closing, you will earn an additional 3% if you are able to bring the buyer (total commission of about $6,500). Also by having a solid listing like my house you would be able to make contact with a number of new buyers. According to your profile on Zillow you do not currently have any listings, so I would think this would be a good opportunity for you. 

By the way, since by federal law there is no standard real estate commission my offered compensation cannot be considered a partial compensation or asking for a discount. If a Realtor is competent I would think they could prosper (like service professionals in other parts of the economy) by leveraging technology into a greater number of commissions with less time spent (and savings for the consumer).

Lets see, you want the whole package but you are only willing to pay a portion of the fee?   If your boss told you he wants the same work that you do but for 25 to 50% of what you make now would you do it?

Any agent worth his/her salt will put more money in your pocket at the end of the day than you could alone or that a discounter could

Profile picture for John Reeves1
I can help you for that. Please call or txt me anytime .  858.997.4384.