Profile picture for AEBlair

Need refi advice--Can't find a lender to help us despite income>$110k and LTV<70%

I need help with finding a lender to do a refi in California.  Our house is worth about $850k and we have a 1st mortgage with about $370k left to pay at 6.25%, and a 2nd mortgage with about $110k left at 7.25%.  So we want to refi, obviously.  The issue is that our monthly payments are so high, and my salary has decreased recently, so now we're stretched too thin.  We bring home about $6800 net but have $4500 of monthly payments to make.  As a result, we have two 30-day lates in the last year on our 1st mortgage. The rest of our credit profile is neither great nor bad; we have no car loans and a few credit card payments, about $750/month.  I got one score last week of 620; my wife's is likely higher.  We talked to one broker last week who told us that it was the 30-day-lates that disqualified us from being helped by him.

Anybody have any advice?  Is there any lender who can help us?  Or are we stuck in a loop where we need to lower our payments, but we can't because we can't make the payments that we need to lower?
  • March 06 2013 - San Mateo
  • 0

I have a lender will allow   1x30 mortgage late in the last 12 months  with an Letter of expaination from the borrower!  (Conforming Only)
Let me know if I can be of of any help.

Jasbir Gujral
[deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

I would contact your existing lender. It sounds like you may qualify for a HARP loan but without having all the information, I cannot make an exact determination.

Most banks will not allow for the refinance due to the late payments. That is why I would recommend you contacting your existing lender. They may be able to do some special  financing for you.

Many lenders will decline anything that has 30 day mortgage late in the last 12 months.   From the scenario you describe, I think there is potential to qualify as long you both have qualifying median credit scores at 620 or above.

I would be happy to review options for you, you can contact me through my profile for a closer look.

Profile picture for chrisjonesmtg
Have you tried contacting your existing lender?  They may have a few more options for you because of the couple late payments.