Profile picture for smbelaen

Need some suggestions on how to meet all of our neighbors on our street...

We closed May 6th and have finally completed our move in this last week. We've met our next-door neighbors, but we are also interested in meeting everyone on our street.  What are some suggestions as to how to go about doing this?

May 30 2010 - US

1. Walk to their front door.
2.  Ring the doorbell.
3.  Say "hi, I'm XXXX.   I just moved into the green house and wanted to introduce myself". 

Or, walk over to their house when they are weeding the front yard or shoveling snow or whatever happens in your area and introduce yourself.

In the old days established people would come over and introduce themselves with cookies, but if that doesn't happen, stick your neck out and take the initiative.  The word "should" is a very dangerous word.   Ask not what someone else should do, but offer the example.

Dogs help with introductions because we're always wandering around on the sidewalks of the neighborhood. 

We are in this house for 2 years, and know the names of all residents in 13 houses along the cul de sac, have been invited to dinner in 5 of them, have invited several for dinner in our home, cat sit, dog sit and plant sit for several and consider feel safe to ask for help in an emergency at any one of those 13 houses 24 h/day.   We are extreme introverts, but we stuck out our necks.

Profile picture for smbelaen
Doralgate, I agree that it should be up to the established neighbors to meet the newbies. But it isn't happening and since I'm more of a "go-getter", I suppose it's up to me if I want to meet them.

The people across and on the other side of us wave, but we've never formally met.

Profile picture for doralgate
Those below are great ideas if that is the route you want to go, it just seems to me that it kinda forces the issue. I would feel really weird if my new neighbor approached me to do any of the described. I always thought it is up to the existing neighbors to approach the newbi. If they want to meet you they will come and meet you. I don't believe in forcing myself into other peoples lives. Seems like a weird proposition to me but good luck.

Team up with your favorite ... new local restaurant ... that has a selection of wines and have a community open house wine tasting at your home some evening .... invite all the neighbors .... the restaurant gets exposure and you get to meet your neighbors.

Regarding "community garage sale"...

Maybe, after you get to know your neighbors a bit better. Reasons not to use this as a "how to meet..." mechanism...

1.  Not everyone is a garage saler. For what it's worth, you may actually annoy some who would not welcome the extra traffic that could result.
  2.  This is not as easy to organize (requires more collaboration within the community, vice you organizing a "Howdy BBQ").
  3.  If it's successful, it's more about the "garage sale" then "getting to know each other".

Profile picture for smbelaen
That sounds like fun. Definitely something to consider.

Someone I know suggested asking our neighbors about a community wide garage sale; what do you think?

Best and fastest...

Pick a weekend (not a holiday where everyone already has plans) and throw a block party. It could be a BBQ, or catered, but make it simple to attend.

Assuming there are kids on the block, plan on having something to keep the kids occupied. Even better, make arrangements to have some people available (maybe hire some of the older neighborhood kids?) to watch younger ones so that adults aren't chasing kids all day. This also gives you an opportunity to establish some ground rules for kid-play and have someone else help enforce them.