Profile picture for frater713

Needing some FHA advice.....

I'm a potential first time home buyer who has a decent salary but not alot in the bank.  I realize that FHA limits this necessity but I am still weary on how much my down payment will have to be and what my closing costs will be.  I realize some of this can be negotiated in the sale itself, however, the worst case scenario is that it the seller doesnt agree to pay closing costs and I have to come up with them.  I am looking at the 150k range for a house and wanted to know (a ballpark figure obviously) what the closing costs associated with a sale like this might be and also how much I would have to put down.  I realize its generally 3% but I am confused on the transfer of money between the buyer and seller.  I have friends that say they only had 5k to contribute to their sale and were able to buy a 150k house without the seller paying closing costs.  I'm just trying to get educated here!  Need some guidance so I know how much to have in my pocket going into this thing.  My goal is to make this all happen this summer.  THANKS!!!!!!!
  • January 20 2012 - Greenwood

Don't become discouraged. Find a knowledgeable lender who will explain all the various federal and state programs available for first time buyers. Some even help you with down payment assistance. Go for your house now!

Your downpayment for FHA is 3.5 percent of the purchase price. You need to speak with a lender about closing costs in your area. FHA does allow the seller to pay up to 6% in closing costs but that has to be negotiated and the seller will typically add that to the base sales price. A lender in your area can guide you on what closing costs are for your. I hope that helps.