Profile picture for fairygirl43

Neighbor question

So Wednesday afternoon I see our neighbors in our back yard after my son and I get home from his school and errands. I see the Dad with a hand saw and their boys are pulling on one of our trees. The Mom is out there with them as well. I didn't go out and confront frankly because DH was out of town and I wanted to see how this played out. Eventually they went inside. Thursday morning, I went down to see what they had done. It looks like they sawed off a branch off of one of our trees and were trying to pull the rest of the tree down. Perhaps they thought it was going to fall onto one of their smaller trees (although this was never a problem before they started messing with our tree). They did not ask us about this at all. We don't have a fence (much of our neighbor doesn't have fencing) but it's very clear that this tree was in our yard and not theirs.

I took pictures today and DH comes home tonight. We'll go down and try to clean it up this week-end but I'm wondering what you all think we should do.

I did e-mail the mayor of our little city and ask about the fencing requirements (I did not mention this incident).
  • February 15 2008 - US
  • 1

Profile picture for fairygirl43
Well, I'm bumping this thread because it happened again today (Wednesday, April 23rd). We've had a standing order with our tree service the minute the weather and their schedules agreed to come in and clean out this mutual area (between us and our next door neighbors, not the ones behind us). Neighbor behind us was out with a chain saw cutting up our tree! I went down to see what was going on and he was completely in my face. I stayed calm, but my stomach was churning! I told him we had been waiting on the tree service since January to come in and clean out this area. But he said that he was tired of looking at it (he doesn't really see it through his trees, he's just being an ass).

I've e-mailed our town's attorney and gave the specifics on the situation and am still waiting to hear back. DH just went down there to talk to them so I'll let you know what happens.

What would you do?

Aren't there trespassing laws there?  Holy crap, I'd be livid.

Profile picture for TWB
  • TWB

Yes, doesn't this fall under the trespass and vandalism laws?  They didn't have your permissions and they cut up one of your trees.  If someone tried that in my neighborhood they'd be talking to the police pretty quick and coughing up some dough to pay for the damage.

This is all sounds like primate / alpha male garbage.  If they establish that they can come on your property whenever they want then this will only escalate.

What's next?  Are they going to start encroaching on your property line with their own landscaping?

Get all of the law and then file a complaint.

Profile picture for fairygirl43
DH just came back up from "discussing" this with the neighbors. Yes, this is alpha male crap so my DH alpha-ed right back! The male neighbor said that I came down there and yelled at him (I didn't yell and was proud that I remained calm). So my DH responded " you were in our yard with a chain saw, hacking on our tree - what would you have done if someone walked into your yard and did that?" Jacknut didn't have a response to that one. The wife, meantime, had no idea what was going on (I don't think she was home this afternoon but she was certainly there for the February event).

Yes, this is trespassing and destruction of property. I have an e-mail into our town's attorney to find out the specifics on what to do (we also have 3 other attorneys in our family).

Neighbor finally admitted he was out of line but they are tired of living with the eyesore (the "eyesore" they refer to is a joint stand of trees between us and our next door neighbors that we are having taken care of on Monday - we are thinning out the area so the remaining healthy trees stay that way - we and our next door neighbors love it so we're grooming it to stay healthy, but we're not cutting down 20 trees - talk about bad karma!) and they plan to build a privacy fence. Well goody for them but no 60" fence is going to block out 50' trees! And our neighborhood only allows for 60" fences in the back yard. And given that we're on the up-slope from them, it isn't going to block any view of their yard from our deck.

I guess on the up-side, if they put in a fence (and you better believe we're getting a survey done so they aren't on our property) it means we really don't have to deal with them and have their yappy little dog barking at us from our own yard (they let the dog out but don't go out with it so it usually craps in our yard 'cause it smells our dogs - I always go out with our dogs and don't let them go in anyone else's yard but ours).

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

unacceptable.  Sounds like you're taking the right action.  Our new house has an odd property set-up.  Our driveway passes our neighbors house (we're tucked at the end of a cul-de-sac).  I have to check the survey to see where our property actually ends, but thankfully they are quiet-keep-to-themselves kind of people.  And they like plants and trees :o)  I've been wondering because my kids wander over there (mostly the 18 month old) but it doesn't seem to upset them.

How could they possibly get upset with that little cutie pie wandering in their yard.  That reminds me of my neighbor's 2 yo walking through the court singing at the top of his lungs.  It was cracking me up.  So cute.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

Wellll.... #4 picks their daffodils after giving them a hefty sniff, and #3 is itching to "Have the most beautiful pink flower I ever saw"  (LMAO)  A pink tulip.  I told them we can admire and not destroy.. lol

(neighbors kid ran by and made a shadow :o(

ERRR! Hulk angry!!! I would be pissed off!

It sounds like the neighbor is taking a territorial piss to me!! He has 0 right to be in your property.

Here in Oregon and Ca. The deal with the trees was you could  only hack on the neighbors tree if it hung down or on to your property, like over a fence line/property line and only that branch and not the whole tree!!

Other wise, they are violating your property rights and its vandalism. I dealt with this  a lot in CA. when we had our landscaping business. Its sounds like you are doing the right thing. If the jerky neighbors are in your yard again without permission call the cops! Expecially if hubby is out of town.

Good luck with this, I hope you can have peace in your yard again.

Profile picture for crankyanker

What an adorable pic Pinks.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

thanks... hijack over lol

super cute pic!!!!

Profile picture for jimmy57

Wow, Deanna, thanks for reminding me why I need acreage around our next house!

One of our last neighbors wanted us to cut down a 60+year-old Black Walnut tree on our property because she said she was allergic to it.  The real reason was that her husband was hell-bent on paving their entire lot in concrete --to make space for project cars -- and didn't want any leaves falling into his yard.

Profile picture for fairygirl43
I guess we've been fortunate up to this point as we've always had great neighbors. Granted, the house in Tucson had almost an acre per house but we were in a neighborhood and everyone kept to themselves. Here, we have about 1/2 acre and most of us do not have fences. And thankfully, the rest of the neighbors around here are terrific (my guess is the ones behind us are the pariahas of the neighborhood). They built a huge deck at the end of last summer (of course without telling us that workmen were going to be back there for 6 weeks and I'd have to coordinate our dogs' outdoor time based on whether or not anyone was working back there). I'm now wondering if they got the okay from the city. I'm sure permits were pulled, but our little city has to approve projects and this deck got way out of hand. But we're the types that are live and let live. My DH said if we want to build a gigantic monument to the Cincinnati Reds in our back yard, it's our business just as it's their business on their deck.

Well, I'm off to bed - I'm exhausted!

Profile picture for fairygirl43
I was also wondering about potential liability issues.

What if something happened on our property with this guy cutting trees with a chain saw? Although it was trespassing, would we be liable if he was injured on our property?

Profile picture for fairygirl43
Julia - the rule is the same here (I spoke with our tree guy in February after the first incident). They could trim the parts over-hanging their property, but not come on to our property to remove any part of the tree.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

Deanna, not sure if this is the same or not.

My parents live out in the country. The electric company wanted to put high lines over there property and they paid my parents to be able to do this.  They said if any of my dad's trees got so tall that they were going to get in the highlines, that they'd trim them for my dad.  Well he had 2 pecan trees planted there 25 years ago.  Behind the pecan trees, there was the woods.  Anyhow, one day he came home from work and saw that the electric company had shreded everything, all the way from his propery to the river (several miles) under the highlines.  This included the pecan trees. He was about to lose his mind he was so mad.  The trees were nowhere near the power lines.  They would have had to grw 20 more feet before the even thought about touching the lines.

So he called the electric company and explained to them how he had lived an hour away when they bought the land and how they had planted the trees before they even moved out there. They hauled water from one hour away several times a week to take care of the trees.

Long story short, the electric company paid him $8,000 for the trees.  The courts figure how old the trees are, how much fruit they bear (if any), and other things...

You neighbors better watch out if they know what is good for them.

Profile picture for fairygirl43
I guess during last night's conversation, the guy kept trying to justify his actions by the fact that the tree was dead. My DH told him that it doesn't matter, we could've had 15 dead trees in our yard. The fact is that the neighbor was breaking the law by trespassing on our property and cutting up our tree without our permission. DH and I have always had the mantra that "you can't argue with crazy". But when crazy starts trespassing and vandalising, it's time to step in. I guess DH told him that his "mega" deck and backyard were no Picasso to us and we had to look at it all the time. Jacknut didn't like that one bit.

Profile picture for crankyanker

I would definately pursue this at least to have an offical record of complaint against these nuts!

Profile picture for mina36

Pinks that is a GREAT picture !

Deanna - I'm sorry you have such rotten neighbors. And I know it's hard for women to confront crazy men with chainsaws. :) But in moments like that, just remember - that's why God made police.

That picture is so precious.  You can't help but smile.

I agree with crankyanker.  Emailing the city attorney isn't going to cut it (no pun intended).  Get a police report filed.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

since you're *making* me.... lol

what the lighting should have looked like :o)

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

wow pinks good work.

Profile picture for fairygirl43
Do you think a police report will escalate the situation? I took pictures of the February incident and I'll take pictures of the current damage from Jacknut.

City attorney is getting back to me with information on who to contact to get a survey but hasn't answered my questions involving how to deal with Jacknut.

If they do put up a fence, it would certainly make it a lot easier to ignore them and harder for them to come into our yard with power tools.

Maybe we should erect that monument to the Cincinnati Reds . . . :)

Profile picture for crankyanker

A police report will establish their trespassing and injury to your property.  If nothing else it will establish that you warned them to stay off your property, in case they are injured when they start up again, and they will.

Profile picture for Drapesforaqueen

Did Jacknut ever think about the damage he was doing the your property or damage he could have did to his own. What is the tree fell on the house or somebody. That is a matter he should have came to you and your husband about first, voicing his concerns. My grandmother has a house she has owed for over 20 years. She has a neighbor who believe the whole left side of land between the two house is his. My grandmother thought the property line was were the two gates meet. He would complain any time we step foot on his property claiming all types of damages. Finally my grandmother went down the city to see where the property lines were. Turns out his fence was over the propert line:)

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

She should have got a chainsaw and chopped it into itty bitty pieces and put it in a bonfire in the middle of the yard...that's just the anger talking.

Profile picture for fairygirl43
I still need to find out about the rules on set backs and fences. If there is a set back, how many feet, who is responsible for maintaining the fence on our side, if they are responsible for maintaining the fence on our side, then they may have to come on our side to do it . . . And I'm still waiting to hear back from the town's attorney on his thoughts on the situation (he may not respond to that as it can be a loaded issue).

I guess it would never, ever occur to me to walk into someone else's yard and start cutting up stuff. And even more amazing that Jacknut felt wholly justified in his actions because he was tired of looking at it (gee, two whole months while the weather was terrible). Although after DH had his conversation, I don't think Jacknut felt as justified.

How do you file a police report? Do you have to call them to the house? It's not a 911 call is it? Sorry to be so naive here, but we've never had to do this before so we're flying a bit blind.

No, don't call 911.  You can just call the non-emergency line of your local PD and tell them what happened and you want to file a report in case of future incidents.

Profile picture for fairygirl43
Next question - is there a risk, should we want to sell 5-10 years from now, that this type of report on the neighbor might come back to haunt us?

It shouldn't.  (How's that for evasiveness?) 

He really does need to be put on notice that he does not have your permission to be on your property in case he cuts his leg off in his fury.

1. 1
  2. 2