Profile picture for scareesaree76

Nevada do I as a renter have to allow a walk throug by a Realtor if it is not in the lease contract?

I sighed a 3 year lease I am in the 2nd year of the lease I was told by my Landlord that the home would be on the market and the price would be set so high no one would be interested. In the lease agreement nothing is stated that the Realtor would be doing walk throughs.Now I have the Realtor blowing up my phone to set a showing with potential buyers. I am uneasy about people walking into my home and feel as though its an invasion of Privacy. Since nothing was stated in the lease agreement for this can I deny the Realtor walk through access legally? Nevada

March 28 2011 - Overton

Profile picture for scareesaree76
I told my Landlord since it was not stated in the lease that I would allow them to show the house this one time.. BUT NEXT TIME THE REALTOR CALLS I am refusing to comply. also the Realtor was not aware of the three year lease agreement. well he is now! thank u all for your answers :]

You could tell your landlord you will only allow one day a week for 2 hours to show the house.

Here is the legal answer you were looking for:

NRS 118A.330  Landlord's access to dwelling unit.

(d) Exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workers, contractors or other persons with a bona fide interest in inspecting the premises.

No, you can't block access by agents but you can demand that they comply with state law about notice before non-emergency entrances.

"The price would be so high that no one would be interested?"

That comment, in itself, sounds fishy to me... have you looked into whether the landlord has had a foreclosure notice filed on the house? I would worry more about that than about accommodating a real estate agent. 

Usually there is a 24 hour clause out in the contract. Allowing the realtor access.

probably not. While you can definitely deny a lockbox, which gives realtors access to the property when you are not there, likely you have to give reasonable access with notice from your landlord. In AZ, that would mean 24 hours advance notice. You could schedule access to only occur when you are home, and they can't be so frequent as to become harrassing, but a couple times a week, with notice to you is likely legal, unless your lease stipulates otherwise.