Profile picture for zuser20140604211414621

New Home Inspection Problems

Hi All,

I am first time home buyer and seeking advice on Home inspections we had recently. This is new construction  and we are few weeks away from closing. During inspection inspector found few serious problem.

1. In one of the bathroom on top floor Plumbing to the shower head leaks excessively within the walls. Moisture came streaming out from behind  shower enclosure in the bathtub, down the walls, and all the way into the garage 

2. Not only this there were rodent droppings scattered throughout substructure at multiple areas as well as traps, None the less we found also found wire hanging and earth to wood contact  at several support posts, Soil is exposed in the crawlspace
 3. There is no metal drip flashing over the top of window frames or wood trim above front Windows- these are exposed to the weather and susceptible to leakage.

I have initiated discussion with builder and agent but both sounds its normal which I doubt so seeking out advise from this forum.

Thanks for response ...

• June 04 2014 - Redmond
  • 0

Sounds strange. I suggest you walk out of this home and tell the builder you prefer to get the next home if you like the style.

Sam Shueh

Some of that may be normal (e.g. rodents and new construction), but some of it clearly isn't (wood to ground contact).  And punch lists on new construction can be long.  If that is all the items, that's a pretty short list.

My concern would be what rights you have to back out at this point in time, if that is your decision.  You probably need to consult with an attorney about that because you're probably dealing with a builder form at this point in time.

Even if the builder agrees to "fix everything" you are still at risk. Even the best inspection cannot see wiring in the walls, other moisture issue are present in previously unused areas or basic in wall plumbing was not done correctly.

This house is garbage. If you have a way out of the contract, I would find it.

A new home should be just that, new and free from any defect.  It is not normal and they should fix everything before you close. Make sure it is re-inspected and all issues have been taken care of.  Do you have your own agent or are you just dealing with the builders on-site agent?  If you have your own buyers agent (which you should) they should be going to bat for you to get this all taken care of.  Good luck.

" I have initiated discussion with builder and agent but both sounds its normal which I doubt so seeking out advise from this forum."

It is NOT normal. Issues like that on a new house mean it was built for crap from top to bottom. Dump the agent who is selling you out without delay. Then, walk away and thank your inspector for saving you from buying this house.

Thanks Jason.  We were in the last stage before closing we were intended to close in next couple of weeks. This home is finished so they are going to tear dry wall to fix plumbing now.

Thanks Dave.   Yes I am planning to use same inspector to do re inspection before I move ahead.

Thanks Jay no thank fully I refused to chose builder's preferred lander I am going to bring this up to my lander as well. 

Is this a really bad signal and I should walk out of deal ?

Profile picture for Bob Blevins
I agree with Jay......you've pointed out some very serious issues, plumbing leaks of any degree are totally unacceptable. Send across the inspection report, highlight all items that need attention and schedule your re-inspection, prior to your builder walk-thru and closing. If you get resistance in that process, make sure your lender/appraiser is in the loop and definitely do no close until deficiencies are corrected. You don't have to settle.

Profile picture for valuatemyhouse
Congratulations!  You did your Due Diligence on a New Constructed Home!  Most New Home Buyer's Don't.  Yes, I have seen what you have stated many times when I do my BPO's and have to note them.  I have gone into recently built home thinking it was going to be a easy job and end up with 3 hours of research to help determine the cost factor of moisture damage to what you stated.

Item 1)  If they will not fix it.  Than get a professional plumber to come out get a quote and give it to them to take off the price.  Not sure what stage you are in during the construction but get it fixed before drywall and other moisture collecting area materials start making a chemistry or organic biological mess.

Item 2)  Request for a Pest Inspection and get it cleared.  Home Builder wont do it. Than you do it.  Not sure what state your in.  But most of them have State Certified Pest Inspector to come in and give the property a good look.

Item 3)  Contact a Contractor to come out and give you a quote and than again ask for this to be deducted from your initial  price or fix it.

You could always contact the local City/County Building Inspector to come out as well.

I know this seems like more reports but you did make a big purchase so paying $$ in inspections might out weigh the cost of actual repairs. 

Get the repairs done before the keys are handed to you.  Stay away from the comments, "we will fix it during the warranty period."  Here those words and you know your getting ready for battle.

Hope this helps. Seems like you are the right track.  Sure others can add more.

Profile picture for daveskow
not normal on new construction ...sounds  very shoddy

request / demand  that  all defieciences get  repaired  before closing ....have  same inspector  reinspect it

Profile picture for jaysellshm
This is NOT normal for new construction! A good inspector will find many items of concern but water in the walls and rodent droppings is a bit abnormal. I am in shock that the builder and listing agent are saying this is normal. Are you using the builder's preferred lender? If so, let the lender know as they may be able to threaten not to close until these issues are resolved.