Profile picture for rdhing

New Home final stage inspection question??

Hello do I need to do a final stage inspection before i close? My understanding is that the builder provides a what I call "bumper - bumper" warranty during first 12 months and home owners usually do an inspection before warranty expires. So do i really need to do an inspection before I close when I plan on doing one before warranty expires or should i just wait till right before warranty expires?? Which is better options? don't really want to over kill and over pay when its not needed.

January 02 2013 - Allen

My suggestion is actually do phase inspections throughout the building process.  Guess it is too late for that.

I would do one now.  Your power to negotiate repairs is NOW before closing.....not after closing.   A year from now I think it is way too late to get an inspection and expect the builder to fix much.

I would never call a builder's warranty bumper to bumper......there may be some like that, but I often hear much the opposite....I just can't imagine a year from now if something is installed wrong they'd be real interested in fixing it.

I don't think any of my customers has ever done a prepurchase inspection where there weren't a laundry list of items for the builder to fix....of course many of those fixes were at the request of their Realtor doing the negotiating and not the buyer themselves.   Builders seem to know what they can get away with working with the buyer themselves vs. working with their realtor....so make sure to involve your realtor in this process.

Mr. Hing,

You realtor should be able to give you advice on that. 

However, having said that, typically there are 2 walk-throughs done.  The first one is the one when you requested repairs and the 2nd one to check whether everything is to your satisfaction.  I usually advice my clients to have a home inspected before the 1st walk through so items that the inspector found to be deficient are added to the repair list.  If the inspector found major deficiencies then you don't close.

I hope this information helps.  Please keep us, realtors, in mind on your transaction. Although we love to help others by giving advice we don't get paid doing that. We get paid when a transaction closes.  Good luck!

In my humble opinion...

Unless you requested repairs from the original home inspection or it's been over 60 days since the previous inspection, a second inspection isn't "absolutely" necessary.