Profile picture for jebus51881

New lein

I bought my home on 8/19/13 and no leins were found.  Now I get a letter in the mail from the Township's attorney saying a lein will be placed on my home the first week in November because of unpaid property taxes in 2012.  Apparently the previous owners mortgage company (Wells Fargo) didn't pay the full amount due. Obviously I didn't own the house when this happened.  Who is responsible for payment?

October 21 2013 - US

In your state do you close through an attorney or use an escrow office? I believe that it is the closing entity that is required that all liens be paid at closing. Check with your closing agent, then go to the title company and ask if your title insurance will cover it.  If neither of these work, consult with an attorney.  Otherwise, you will be responsible for the taxes since they follow the property and not the owner. Good luck.