Profile picture for PukonYukon

New shower design with no door, do you like it?

planning a bathroom remodel. has anyone converted to a walk in shower with no door, did you regret it or do you love it?

April 29 2011 - Mustang

I have never done this, I am not oppose to it.  Most homeowners I have dealt with that had this done, have regretted doing it and subsequently went and had a door put in.  They say that in the process of showering the splash is enough to create a mess outside of the shower.  If your shower walk in is design where this is not a factor, then I would move forward.  The good news is that if you find out that you do not need a door then this can save you a lot of money. 

Profile picture for jim.bushart825

When designing a shower you need to consider both form and function. The size of the shower will be determined by how big the room is and the preference of the homeowner. A shower can be small enough for one person, or large enough for several people. Regardless of how many people it can accommodate, be sure there is enough room to move around without bumping into the walls.

[multiple commercial hotlinks removed by Zillow moderator]

Ethan said- "you don't have to clean glass" 

that says it all for me!  you adapt to heat loss. 

If you have the extra space, about 2-3 feet, to make the shower long enough for a walk-in then they are a great option.  I find that they are a little bit more drafty and I like a hot shower so they aren't my favorite design.  Another negative is inquisitive pets and kids if you have them.  On the plus side I think they allow for a little more creativity with the design and you don't have to clean glass.

I hope this helps,
Ethan

I think it depends on the bath.  The newer floorplans have the walk in shower behind a wall sometimes, making it feel like you are walking into a cave.  It is nice and spacious. 

I think it's a matter of personal opinion.  Would seem a little strange for me at first, but I'm sure I would get used to it in time.

Profile picture for J M Management
I am in the middle of a master bath renovation now. To answer your question,  No, I am a firm door lover.  I do not want any water on the floor so I am looking at using a frameless 3/8" low iron glass door by a local manufacturer who guarrantees no leakage.  Water on a bathroom floor can  of course be dangerous.  Always look for ADA rated floor tile in a bathroom so it is slip resistant. Do not use large smooth marble tiles on a bath floor - unless you get clever like I did.  I used 1 x 1's just in the shower floor in a lovely mosiac pattern.  I get the best of both worlds: real stone and non-slip. 

I like my walk-in. Things I would change (as I get older)...

All the walk-in showers seem to have a shower seat. I'd make this a litllle more ADA friendly (i.e.. taller, perhaps a hand bar next to it, etc.)

Otherwise, gof it.

Most people LOVE the walk-in showers. My professional opinion is that it is a good investment, buyers love them so DO it. From time to time, you always have someone that will not like it but that is true about everything.  My personal opinion, if you like it Do it!  If you don't like the walk-in shower, than maybe you should NOT do it.  It's your home now, so you should enjoy your home while you are living there.  Whatever you decide, I'd love to see your before and after pictures upon completion.  Good Luck!

I like not having that little spot in the corner of the door that you can never really get all the way clean. 

Our home has a walk in shower with no door, and we like it. We have a half wall with glass above in the shower stall for privacy, and an area to step in and out of the actual shower area.

It works well for us and we would definitely use this configuration again.