Profile picture for fiteclub

Newly built home zestimates are in error

We moved into our custom built home in Sept 07.  The public records of the change in the real estate from lot to home was available some time ago and the information about the home in those records is accurate.  Also, I claimed the home on the zillow web page and updated all of the information about the home since zillow still said it was just a lot.  The zestimate is still grossly wrong.  You guys need to be faster about updating your data on newly built homes if you expect to be helpful to those looking to buy and sell real estate.

• February 22 2008 - US
  • 1

Profile picture for fiteclub

Forgot to put webpage address of the property: 

http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=64632214

Profile picture for fiteclub

Anyone from Zillow want to please respond???

Profile picture for fiteclub

bump; hello anyone at zillow.  I know you guys read this forum please respond!

I am in agreement with fiteclub.  None of the properties in my subdivision (which was started in 2005 and is 99% sold out) sold for less than $400K+ and your site shows them all in the mid $200 range which is, basically, the lot price.  The lots are 1/2 to 3/4 acres and when you zoom down to each lot, individually, the sold for price is clearly there yet you have posted zestimates of 50% less than the sales price.  Homes in the zipcode have NOT devalued so dramatically and we are in the best school district in the county.  How can you post such inaccurate data???  Even the county tax assessment is more accurate.  All of these homes were reassessed last year.

I have my home on the market and you are killing me.

Profile picture for cav22

I have to create multiple posts for this.  My original is too long...

Be happy your neighborhood even shows on the maps. Mine was reported to NAVTEQ atleast a year ago and there are not even roads. My home location still appears at the default location for my city. What is wierd is the home sale records showed up and the Zestimate is correct or close enough. But noone could find it because it shows in the wrong location since it hasnt been mapped yet.

Profile picture for cav22

fiteclub,
The issue with your area appears to be that there is no 2007 Tax inforamtion for your property. The last time the information was from it appears to be undeveloped.

Profile picture for cav22

JennyLen Bowden, "jbowden" ,
If you look at the tax information provided for that neighborhood then I would guess it is either old or "undervalued" by the assessor. You say that the homes have recent Sales showing in the data? This does seem to be a bug in their algorithm if it is true. If you post an address in the neighborhood I will see if I can tell anything.

Profile picture for cav22

ZILLOW TEAM
Zestimates, get drastically more accurate when sales occur after developing occurs. When land is bought undeveloped and then developed through contract the Zestimates are way off unless there is recent tax information and comparables to go by. In the Zestimate algorithm when an owner claims a home, they should have the ability to mark it as being developed. If they do so and the last assessment says that the building value is $0 then their home should calculate the zestimate weighing comparables higher. These comparables could only be homes within .25-1 mile radius since no home information is known as a fact. The only fact is the homes location (this should be the case for ALL homes without home facts). This would eliminate much of the complaint you are seeing. When the Zestimate is calculated this way an * could be placed beside the Zestimate describing the circumstances. After the assesment updates to include bldg value > $0 or home facts are recorded then calculate your normal way. Lastly, improve the speed at which data is refreshed from Tax information suppliers and from NAVTEQ. I assume you are paying for the maps NAVTEQ supplies. Get on them when there are entire neighborhoods not mapped that were constructed over a year ago. If tax infromation has not been recieved in greater than 1 year put a big red warning on the page. Recieve a report of the homes divided by State, then County and address it with the provider every 1-2 months. If that means you need to hire new people to do so then it is necessary to keep your data accurate. Eventually the Providers will get better at keeping their data up to date and providing the data. If you dont already have SLA (Service Liscensing Agreements) with the providers then set them up.

Hope this helps... The site could be great with improvements that are possible.

Profile picture for fiteclub

cav22,

Yes, the tax info for 2007 reflects the lot price; however, the 2008 info is CORRECT.

here is the url to the county database!

http://maps.lex-co.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wsCAMA/CAMASearch/db.htm?TMS=00468002002&TAXYEAR=2008

This info should be incorporated into zillow database

Bill

Profile picture for fiteclub

The Zestimate for my home is still WAY WAY off.  It appears that Zillow has still not incorporated updated tax info into its estimate.  I am thinking about filing a lawsuit since this wildly wrong info could hurt my chances of getting a fair price on my house.

Hi fiteclub,

I am looking up this property as we speak.

Profile picture for fiteclub

Thank you Nida,

Were you able to determine the correct info?  I just checked the zestimate and it is still wrong.

Bill

Profile picture for fiteclub

Nida,

Were you able to find out anything.  Please respond

Profile picture for ejgallaher

"I am looking up this property as we speak."

Any time estimates?

I'm planning on entering a triathlon 'some day'. Of course, I've been saying that for 20 years. Only by putting this on my Day Planner and paying attention to it is it ever likely to happen.

Profile picture for fiteclub

BUMP  Someone at Zillow PLEASE RESOVE THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Profile picture for fiteclub
Well, I feel like I am beating my head against a rock but I am going to try to get through to the idiots at Zillow ONE MORE TIME.  I just refinanced this property that is referred to in this thread.  It appraised for $380,000.00.  Zillow however, has the value at $175,500.00. and it has the last tax data as of 2006 which is the tax on the lot before I built the house.  THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!  The appraiser actually commented to me that he could not believe the Zillow information.  Here is the web page which shows the latest 2008 tax bill

http://www.lex-co.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wsTaxBill/TaxINQ/tb003-pg.htm?Bill-no=2008026394103

There is absolutely no excuse for the incompetinecy that Zillow displays.  They are playing with peoples financial livelyhood because many people actually beleive that the data Zillow publishes is somewhat accurate; including professional appraisers.  Well people IT AINT ACCURATE in the case of my property and I would bet it isn't accurate for a large percentage of homes in their database.

Profile picture for fiteclub
Bump

I understand your frustration. Your appraisal is what your should care about, Zillow not so much. I hope Zillow can help. Reposting or bumping the thread may get them to take another look at it.

Profile picture for JB2003
TRY THIS:  Go to the "about us" link at bottom of page, then click on the "who we are link" on the upper left hand column.  You will see a management team list which you can go direct to each of their individual profiles and send them an e-mail instead of posting in the discussion pages.  Looks like the technition who responded to you last October stating she was looking into this has no posts since then...your inquiry is probably still sitting in her "to do" list in a long lost file by now.