Nice floor plan and a good price but is it a money pit?

Experts,
I wrote an offer on a short sale which might get approved. This house is big (>2000 sf) and the price I wrote is good for this size of house in Fremont area. However this house is not well kept by the owners and hence it needs a lot of work. What I can think of is:

1. Face lift (May be stucoo on exteriors), paint on garage door.
2. New carpets
3. New paint.
4. Kitchen floor/counter tops/appliances.

I need to get these three done before I move in as step 1, and rest of the following in step 2 after I move in:

1. Windows and doors.
2. Bathroom vanity and light fixtures.
3. backyard.
4. Roof.

How much money and time will it cost me for both stages of project? I just want ball park figures from your experiences.

regards
rbharol

• August 09 2011 - Fremont

There is a company called Green Home Solutions, I would check if they service your area in CA and see if your home quailfies. They will help you with making your home more energy effective but the real perk is that they hhelp with getting back rebates on those expenses.

Rbharol,

Sounds like a long list of items.  I would put you at $13k for the work you could do yourself.  A roof contractor could run $5000-$10000.  Windows /installation are $350 a piece and a great door could be $2000. 

If this is your first place I would suggest not biting off more than you can chew.  Start with a starter home around 1000sf with half the projects.  Sorry I do not know the Fremont area but I am sure a Realtor can help you find a smaller place. 

I think you are at or above 15K, it really depends on costs and what you use, granite or some other countertops. I am in the Raleigh NC area, prices are different across the country. Are you buying on sale or paying full price? Why don't you consider doing some 'sweat equity' to bring prices down?
How big is your backyard,what are you doing to it?
Its a difficult one to guesstimate. Depends on your taste and the upgrades you have in mind. Go to Lowes and cost things out.
good luck on your offer.