Profile picture for dfulton2003

Not getting email response when contacting agent about homes i am interested in.

I live 3 hours away from the area that i am interested in buying a home. would like additional info before driving all that way to ensure that it is something that i am looking for but i do no get a response.
  • November 12 2013 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
To get an agent to assist you since you are long distance you should enter into a buyers agency agreement with one who will work for you.

I often get inquires from people about foreclosed properties in the 20K range with a laundry list of things they want me to find out for them.  I've had some want me to take additional pictures for them and determine if the property is a good investment. 

It's not the way we do business.  If you are interested in property 3 hours away find an agent, make an appointment and go look at some properties.

P.S.  I would not sign a buyer's agency form, but I also would stick with one buyer's agent that I had carefully selected if they did a good job. 

Find an agent that specializes in the area you are interested in, then call him or her.

Profile picture for LizHarrisMBA
I would agree that an agent should ALWAYS call you back, but there are situations where the property is no longer available (going under contract, coming off the market, etc).  Regardless, a courtesy call would be in order. I would also agree with the other post comments -- finding you own agent to represent your best interests is a great idea as well. 

I would strongly suggest you find an agent first.  Let them know that you willing to be a client and will sign a buyer agency contract.  Often times agents get the impression that you are working with several agents at a time and the hard working BUSY agents do not wish to become involved in that type scenario.

A buyer agency agreement is a 2 way street.  Obviously the agent has some assurance that you will buy only through them - On the other hand the document spells out in no uncertain terms that that agent is now LIABLE to you - they must contractually have your best interest as their prime directive.

If in your shoes, I'd change my strategy when looking from a distance:

1.  Engage the services of a buyer's agent.   Put considerable effort into finding one who meets your needs (listens and understands is a critical one).   Don't take any old referal but do your interviewing carefully.  This person can investigate whether the house is still on the market, and be persistent contacting the listing party.

2.  If agents don't respond to E-mails, use the phone. 

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate, but sadly not a rare experience.  Depending on the listing agent and property type such as Distressed vs Traditional resale, whether the agent is making an effort to return a call or even pick up the phone.  The property could be already under contract or pending approval from the lien holder.  Many times even as a seasoned Realtor it can be difficult to get a hold of the listing agents ourselves.  However, I welcome the challenge and given my vast amount of knowledge, prior as a mortgage lender, landlord, investor and currently as a Realtor & designated CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert)  
I have been working with real estate for over a decade and have contacts all over the US & Internationally.  Please check out my profile & contact info, letting me know what I can do to be of further assistance.

Thank You,
  Kevin 

That is unacceptable of the agent and not an agent you want to hire. You should have your own agent and not use the listing agent anyway to protect yourself.

[self promotion deleted by Zillow moderator]

Best Regards,
Brian
[deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]