Profile picture for wordznpics

ON-STREET RV PARKING REGS...

I recently acquired a 30ft RV, and because our driveway isn't long enough for it and our street gets a fair amount of traffic, I have been parking it on a side street that leads into a cul de sac.  No houses front onto the street, the houses are elevated, so it's not obstructing view and clearly other residents use it to overflow.  It's been there with no hassle for two months.  Suddenly, I got a threatening note - anonymous of course - that "the street isn't an RV parking lot and we will have it tow".  Great English writing skills and good personal interaction technique.  I've seen other RVs parked on the street.  There's virtually no enforcement, but I wonder what the rules and regs are?
  • December 02 2011 - West Hills

Profile picture for DeniseJenkins5
A lot of people have to park their vehicle and sometimes the same people have several cars to park. When they don't have a garage or driveway to park these vehicles, this means the street is the place to do so. Add boats and rv's to the mix and the space for one car verses a boat or rv is now at least three spaces taken up. Neighbor is something that is lost to peo[le at this time. Its all about the I's and me's and forget everybody else! Parking boats and rv's on the street does nothing for the neighborhood, it seems
that it has become a slum where you can park anything and everythingon the street because it is "there"!

Vince, when I saw someone who had a trailer, a boat, or a RV in their yard it told me they were well enough off to actually afford that item. That meant they had more money they could spend than the people next door who had nothing in their yard.

Why should I pay storage fees when I have a place of my own or free public parking where I can park them?

I would not make street parking your ONLY parkiny option. You are more likly to get your RV vandalized than to receive a ticket from LAPD West Hills.

Oversized vehicles, RV's, boats, parking on lawns, etc, all tend to bring down home values, it certainly does not bring them up. It tells prospective buyers that owners of these vehicles can not afford storage costs.

Profile picture for EllieFlower
I agree, we have a couple of them in our neighborhood that rotate around a block valuable parking spots.  They do have RV parking places where people can rent a parking spot, so maybe that should just be a part of the cost (just like gas) if you are planning on buying one.

I live where there is a shortage of parking, so sympathize.   We often offer our driveway to those having parties when we're in for the evening.

You may wish to call the office related to parking rules (or dig deeper than I did on the internet), because there may be more stringent rules about RVs than cars.

Profile picture for wordznpics
Thanks.  I think I've seen the guy who posted it, and he doesn't even live on the street.  Well, I guess for the near term I can rotate it among a couple of locations until I can find a useable storage solution.

It's funny, because my next door neighbors have huge parking issues - one entertains a lot, the other has "hot and cold running kids with cars" - and as long as they don't block my drive or use all the parking space in front of our house, I have no issue with them.

I guess some people just need to create issues where none exist.

Here's a link to get you started.  From a quick glance it looks like that any streets in LA don't allow continuous parking for >72 h.   When I lived in CA elsewhere, RV parking on the street was a big no except for very short stays, and rigorously enforced.  

I suspect there is enforcement in response to complaints.  Apparently it is time to find a commercial RV parking lot.   In my community you can't even park them in the driveway for more than short visits.