Profile picture for lhui5484

Offer without a Buyer's Agent

If I was to make an offer on a house without a buyer's agent, what forms would I have to fill out? Where can I get those forms? I live in Massachusetts.
  • March 14 - Malden
  • 0

Just wanted to check in on whether you were able to find someone to assist with your offer or handled it on your own. Please reach out directly if you still need assistance!
  • August 08

Really you need to only fill out the offer or "Offer to Purchase" or "contract to purchase".  They are standard forms.  That being said, it is not in your best interest to represent yourself as the buyer.  Transactions are full of emotions on both sides and you want someone who can impartially negotiate on your behalf.  A good buyer's agent will be able to get you what you want, maybe for less than you were prepared to pay and relieve you of all the stress.  A seller's agent is not interested in getting you, the buyer, the best deal - only getting their client, the seller, top dollar.  For some people, they do not want to pay the agent - BUT the buyer does pay for the realtor's work (except in pre-disclosed situations).  If you haven't found the right realtor yet, you should definitely consider it.
  • March 21

Profile picture for lhui5484
@Doug
Turns out the owner is a agent, but isn't selling as an agent.

@Dan
The seller has asked everyone whether they had an agent or not. They wanted to know if they had to pay a commission. I am not against it, I am just reassuring myself that my agent is doing their job correctly; it never hurts to double check.

@Dean
Thanks.
  • March 17

Does the seller have a listing agent? simply go to the sellers agent to make your offer and proceed forward. If the seller does not have a Realtor than both of you should be re-thinking your tack. either way... if your from MA. stop into any real estate office and they will simply hand you the forms (You might actually learn a little bit while your their too). Realtors are pretty helpful folks by nature and nobody is going to deny trying to help you simply because your trying to buy a house without using a Realtor.

Best wishes...
  • March 17

Profile picture for Dan Tabit
ihui,
One last thought, if this is a listed property, the listing agent can write up your offer.  They don't represent you, and anything you tell them will be used against you.  They are not obligated to pay you any commission or to suggest the seller reduce the price to offset their assisting you. 
This is not the way most of us recommend you do business, but you appear determined not to be represented.  This would at least be less work for you, although your risk factor goes up.
  • March 16

To answer your questions, the form is called the MA "Offer to Purchase Real Estate". You can get these forms at any office supply store or online for free and you can fill them out online with you and the seller's information including the offer terms. Just Google it!

BTW: The fact is, you don't even need a standard form for this, you could write it on a napkin as long as you have all the information there to make it a legal binding contract and both parties sign it. The biggest concern I have is based on the questions is whether you know what you don't know. You really should be seeking assistance from a knowledgeable professional.

Questions answered.

• March 16

Profile picture for lhui5484
@Dorene

@Josh
Completely ignored my question...

@sunnyview
Thank you for the explanation.
  • March 15

You can find MA purchase agreements online in many different forms including the one used by the MAR. You can use any one of them. If you need help you can ask an attorney to look it over. You can also ask an agent if they are willing to do just the paperwork for the sale for a fee.

Your final contract should probably include a seller disclosure for your state MA and an EPA lead disclosure  at a minimum too. There may be other forms that are required for your state, so be sure to get professional advice if you are not sure how to fill out the forms or what disclosures are required in MA. Hope the links help get you started.
  • March 15

Profile picture for JoshBarnettREIB
If you are not going to use an agent, hire an attorney. 
  • March 15

You need a "purchase agreement" issued by your state.to start with. Not sure where you can obtain them, but quite sure any Real Estate Attorney can draft all the forms you need to purchase and protect you as well.
  • March 15

Profile picture for lhui5484
@Dan
Thank you for the full explanation.

@Luciano
As I have indicated on other major real estate websites, I am aware of this and your responses do not answer the question at all. If you are going to read, you might as well read the whole posts on the other sites. Sorry if I sound rude, but I hate when people tell me what is best when that is clearly not what I need. I know you are just trying to help, but when 10 people say the same thing, I am pretty aware of what is going on and what I want.

@John
  • March 15

Keep it simple. Ask your attorney to write up the offer and help you. There are a lot of forms and you will need to understand all the details and implications. Good luck in finding your home.
  • March 15

I noticed that you posted the same inquiry on this and the other major consumer real estate website. As many fellow agents have indicated, an exclusive buyer's agent can provide guidance and is not paid by you, but from the seller's proceeds (if they're represented by an agent). If you rely on professionals when it comes to the law and medical issues, please do the same with real estate. It's one of the largest financial transactions you'll ever have in your lifetime, so you should have a licenced professional who is working in your best interest and will give you piece of mind through the process. Feel free to contact any of us below for guidance, otherwise best of luck!
  • March 15

I bet the seller has forms at the ready . . .
  • March 15

Profile picture for Dunes ..
For forms or info a trip to a local Title company will often be productive but you can also do a google search

Google Search : real estate forms massachusetts
  • March 14

Profile picture for Dan Tabit
Lhui,
There is a reason we have to be licensed to do our job.  My average offer is 12 to 25 pages and I am responsible to know which forms apply to which situation, which boxes to check, which additional documentation to request and how to put things in the proper legal process. 
I didn't learn any of this while getting a license, this came from training I received as a new agent and from ongoing training I'm required to obtain.  I have a broker who is also responsible for how I conduct business and if I use the incorrect forms, they are held equally responsible as I am. 
No one is directly answering your question because there probably isn't a public repository for all real estate contracts in MA. 
You can hire an attorney if you want to avoid an agent, but they know little about the current market, values or the nuances of real estate negotiations.  At least with an attorney you won't be making it up as you go along. 
  • March 14

If you need help finding the forms, that is a big red flag, that tells me you have very little experience.

There are soooo many factors you as buyer must be aware of and protected from.  Like, is the home being sold "AS IS" in some states this is a dark hole.  What is the "check it out" period, here in in Hawaii it's 21 days (J-1), the time you can end the deal.  On and on...  

Each deal is different.  Since the seller usually pays the fees of agents, i would get one.... To save a few percentage points or a few thousand on a 200k deal, is just not worth the risk.

ALOHA
  • March 14

Profile picture for lhui5484
@Wen
I wouldn't be asking which forms to use if I knew...

I am not hesitating. It's a firm decision.

I am curious to know why everyone is avoiding to answer the question and keeps on recommending that I use an agent. It only leads me to think their is a catch even if there isn't one.
  • March 14

If you are aware you would then be doing yourself a diservice not using one.  Unless of course you feel you have learned enough through your multiple questions about buyer agency, when to get an attorney, forms to use.......  Are you a new real estate agent or want to become one?  what is your hesitation for not using a buyer's agent?
  • March 14

Profile picture for DebVance
I agree with the other answer.  You won't same any money so I guess I don't understand your hesitation, plus a buyer's agent will always be looking out after your best interests and knows the correct contingencies to place in an offer.  I would say go find an agent and you will be happy you did.
  • March 14

Profile picture for lhui5484
@Masha
I am aware of that.
  • March 14

don't. do. it. 

You don't save yourself anything by not having a buyer agent but you will likely hurt yourself in some way or another without even knowing it. There is a reason agency exists and you should have representation making sure your interests are protected. 
  • March 14