Profile picture for Big Poppy

Oil Furnace - gameplan for replacement

I am interested in hearing the best, most cost effective way to purchase and replace a dead oil furnance.  I am having my oil comapny come out and give me a quote, but I feel like I need to shop around.  If i go to another company to do this, do I have to switch service?  Any suggestions in the CT Farifield county area?  I looked into this about 2 years ago, but was able to stretch the life of the unit till this morning.
  • October 15 2009 - Darien
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for nwhome.us
Look in the "yellow pages" for heating and air-conditioning contractors and do your due diligence in qualifiying them and their bid.
It makes absolutely no difference to the supplier of your heating oil who's furnace they are supplying oil for or, if you want to convert to gas, who supplies the gas or for that matter who supplies the electricity.
They may, however be willing to give you a discount on the installatioin if you use a contractor that they recommend.  They are doing the same thing that you can do; subcontracting the installation to a friend of theirs.

You need to know how much space you are heating.
Than what size of a boiler, how many sections,cast iron, metal etc.
You really need to use an experienced licensed plumber.
wishing you a warm winter
Josh

Profile picture for BungalowMo
Hey Big Poppy...go to the forums at  oiltechtalk.com

Nothing BUT oil techs & most are in the north east!  Excellent bunch of guys & they won't steer ya wrong!  They know the good from the bad & what's worth it in the long run & what's a bunch of hot air!

(no pun intended!!)