Profile picture for Optimus012

Older houses

Around the areas I'm looking, there are a lot of remodeled older houses built in the 1950s and 1960s. Are there disadvantages to buying a house this old? I know copper plumbing might be an issue. However, I figured if the house is remodeled it shouldn't be as bad.

The only other thing I can think of is someone might have died in the house. It's something that could be a deal breaker for me depending on how the person died inside. I would definitely ask the seller this.
  • July 18 2012 - US
  • 0

Best Answer

There are some great houses built in the 1950s and 60s, there are some shoddy houses built in 2012.   It all depends, hence the reason for inspection contingencies and the like in your purchase offer.

Death is a natural part of life.   Death surrounded by one's loved family and friends sounds like a much more pleasant way to die than dying in a cold, noisy hospital with glaring fluorescent lights.   A natural death in the home implies love and caring, IMHO.    

There are great new houses and great old houses. You definitely need an inspection regardless of the era your house was built in. Sure you should check the plumbing, flooring etc.  There are times you will absolutely stunning older homes - beautiful details, solid doors, sturdy building materials.  It depends what you like and what your goals are.

Remodeling often means putting lipstick on a pig. You put pretty new paint and floors with updated kitchen cabinets while overlooking the bad plumbing, wiring, and the asbestos and no insulation in the walls. The lead paint may still be an issue.

Look at the link below to see some expensive issues an older house can bring.

"What should I watch out for when choosing a home to buy so that I don't jump into a money pit?"