Profile picture for lori1948

Only 1 year on house and want to sell

I hate my neighborhood.  Last year I bought my first house (a townhouse like condo).   How do I get out of this mess after living in it for only 1 year? 
The background:    I thought that I had checked out the neighborhood quite thoroughly. I have a dog - not a big dog, not a small dog -- just somewhere in the middle so it was/is important to be in a dog friendly neighborhood.  EVERYONE I spoke to said "Yes, we are a dog friendly neighborhood."  "Yes we play with our dogs."  They lied!  Their idea of playing with their dog is walking them.  NO ONE plays with their dog!  You know throw a ball, let the dog run around in zoomies.  They do not want me playing with my dog on the property at all. (Don't say take her to a dog park - she is too timid.) I don't like these people and they do not (not that it matters to me) like me.  I feel completely betrayed and actually cried for the 1st 2 months knowing it was a mistake.  Can someone help me?
  • March 19 2013 - North Raleigh
  • 0

you will need to contact a realtor and see where values stand, not likeing is not a reason... you may also have taxes since you have not lived at the property for 2 out of 5 years... if you have profit after all closing costs

Profile picture for BradNiemann
It is tough to get any equity built up in that time period.  If you are not happy money is probably not the problem.  Give a local Realtor a call I am sure they can help.

I suggest that you think about your situation, consult with a Realtor about a reasonable listing price and a loan officer at 2 local banks regarding the fees paid by a seller and a loan approval for another home.  Your move can be costly. I love dogs,I have had 3 toy poodles, but I mostly played inside my home.

I agree.  Your best first move is to contact a local Realtor who really knows the area and can tell you the ramifications of moving out and into a new place now.

I understand you are upset, but the truth is that you cannot sell most houses after one year without taking a substantial loss. Unless you are able to bring money to the table at closing for commissions and escrow costs, it it unlikely you can sell to break even.

You need to get the rules for your townhouse neighborhood in writing. Your neighbors may not like your dog playing, but unless the CC&R's forbid it or your municipality has a law against it they are out of luck. 

Some municipalities do not allow off leash animals at all, but many more will allow dogs off leash as long as they are under the control of their owner either on a trained heel or voice backed up with electronic control. When I take my dog to the beach, she goes off leash. However, I have her trained to come 100% of the time to a heel on the vibration page setting. She is well behaved and does not approach people without permission.

Before you incur the substantial cost of moving and selling, get the law, get the townhouse rules and see if training your dog differently will give you the flexibility that you want in this complex first.

Being a animal lover myself I even go so far to say I like animals better than I do people. Contact a local REALTOR and explain your problem. They will be able to do a CMA on the area and your home to find out what the possible sale price of your home at the present time which won't in most cases be any different than the price you paid for it. They then can compare that price to what you owe and see what the amount you'll walk away with or owe at closing. If you can afford to walk it may be worth it. Good luck.

Profile picture for Rada Ann Labe
Yes, neighbors are sometimes a problem.  It's a sad situation.  I'm a dog lover too -- yes a real dog lover, who plays with her dog!   And yes, of course you can sell. It's an investment, where you can buy and sell anytime.   The market however will determine the price.  Consequences are either that you'll break even, lose money or gain a profit.  Pls check with your accountant about tax consequences, as that may be an impt factor for you.  Good luck. 

Profile picture for Sally English
On a positive note - home values have bumped up in many neighborhoods.  When you contact a Realtor you might find values have moved up enough for you to break even (or get close to breaking even) so you can move to a neighborhood that works better for you.

Start doing your homework NOW so you will know where to move when you home sells.

Good Luck
Sally English

Sorry your purchase didn't work out as planned. After only one year in your home it's unlikely you will be able to sell without taking a loss.  A positive note however is that the Raleigh market has improved considerably over the last year; closed sales are up over 20% and average sales price is up slightly. Check with a realtor to see what comparable homes are selling for. 

Contact your Realtor who sold you the property, and see what advice they might have. A more affordable option might be to start play dates with other dog owners in  your neighborhood. 

everyone is right if you really don't like your area and would like to leave you should consult a real estate professional about your options the local market for the triangle has really turned around for sellers. I would love to discuss your possible options with you if you are interested you can reach me at (919) 792-8535

I do not know where property is located. Properties have appreciated in West Los Angeles, CA. Call a local realtor and get precise Market Analysis of you home. You maybe able to break even after the sale. Or you maybe in the hole.Based on professional analysis you can make decision about selling.

Have you considered renting out your townhome and moving elsewhere? We can help you access whether that is an option. Feel free to give us a call to see if this might be an answer to your problem!

I would contact multiple realtors, and let them know whats going on. This way you can choose who best suits your needs.