Profile picture for amandathomas

Open Cabinets

Are open cabinets the next design trend for kitchen updates? I'm starting to see more of this concept in the Dallas market. From starter homes to luxury kitchens, it seems that the design du jour is to ditch the doors and go linux style with open platform. Is this starting in, or catching up to DFW?
  • September 03 2011 - Plano

I haven't seen it yet in the Atlanta market although I think the TV show Seinfel showcased it in Jerry's apartment.

I've seen them around for the last 15+ years.  I hate them, makes the place look cluttered even when every item in the cabinet is perfectly straight and color coordinated.

It's actually an old style coming back a little bit. Many old farmhouses had nothing but shelves to store their wares on and/or open hutch furniture pieces or with glass doors. It can be a very elegant look, if you keep it neat, and have pretty dishes, cookware, and storage containers. It's also a very popular modern/minimalist type of look too.
 The reality is that most people won't prefer this because being open to view means more they have to keep all neat and tidy.
 Some cabinet brands don't lend themselves well to this look because of the center stiles they have in the cabinet frames. It's a matter of preference really as some people like that look too.

I hope some of this info helps.
 Thomas Richard
TRS Designs, Inc.

It hasn't been a trend and I hope that it doesn't become one.  I wouldn't call them cabinets at that point, just shelves.  I too find them unappealing to a kitchen's look.  It gives more chance to attract more dust or collect grease making cleaning an even bigger chore.

May be on a much smaller scale, to be used for decorative items, cookbooks etc.

Naima

It's interesting to see how open cabinets are perceived in different regions and different markets! I've seen open cabinets around the San Francisco bay area, in homes with older craftsman, arts and crafts, bungalow, Victorian and similar "vintage" architectural styles. Some of these houses are relatively new, but built to imitate these older architectural aesthetics. The cabinets, and older kitchens, are often seen as charming by local buyers. The other application I see (which actually falls in line with the last example) is in smaller kitchens. The open cabinets - sometimes with lighting in the interior of the cabinets - create the sense of a little bit more space in some of the smaller, older kitchens you see in the area. Because a lot of the architecturally distinctive homes (those more likely to have these open cabinets) are in more established, wealthier areas, the open cabinet is sometimes associated with more up-market homes. (This is by no means an absolute rule, of course! There are also open cabinets in kitchens of houses that can't be described as anything but fixers!)

As my kids continually slam our cabinet doors, I like the idea...