Profile picture for vital enterprises

Open House question

I know this would be a ball park quesiton and I know you can not predict this, but there must be some type of average figure. If I have a house for sale for 850,000 in South San Francisco, CA and the real estate agent has done a good amount of advertising on line, flyers at neighbor doors, etc, what is the typical amount of people that may show up? I hear around 15 to 20. Is that about right as an average amount of ppeople? My real estate lady said 60-80 people showed up in 90 min. That would be one person every minute. I was not here, of course. The neighbors said 'maybe a dozen or so'. I don't believe her, so trying to find out what the average going number might be.
Thank you if you can offer me any assistance with this question.
  • March 20 2014 - South San Francisco
  • 0

hi, it depends...if the listing price was way lower than market value, it may get lots of people to come see the bargain...
Learn about writing the winning home purchase offer, getting a true loan preapproval and letter, and more on my website (click on my name above)...good luck!

Lookiloos do not benefit anyone but the Agent.  It is also dangerous.

Profile picture for Shane Torres
Varies Per Market

Woah..80 people!! That's a lot! I have never had more then a dozen at any one Open. The Broker Opens do generate many more because it's when the local Brokerages come to see the new listings. It's not good that you distrust your agent...that is not a good sign.

I'm in the San Francisco East Bay and I (and other agents I know) have had well over 200 people in a 3 hour period at each of two initial open houses where nice (or aggressively priced) homes are concerned..

Not that it matters of course. Why do you care? You just want lots of people to see your home in order to get good (hopefully multiple) offers.

$850,000 is a very hot price point in south San Francisco. And with so few homes for sale, the figure you mention does not sound unlikely at all. Why don't you believe your agent? What possible motive would she have for lying to you?

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
1 per minute if they all showed up by themselves, but they often travel in groups of 2 to 4 and if agents showed up from her office it helps the count. You often get a few neighbors dropping in too. I bet 60 would be closer to the actual number, but that is mighty good. Agents do open houses more to find new buyers than to sell the house. The next best reason is to make the seller happy.

Why do you have this agent, again?

The market in SF is hot right now and with a house offered for less than a million, I'd expect a lot of visitors for an open house.  

I am curious why you wish to pursue this.  My Dad always said "pick your battles".      What matters is an offer or several.