Open Permit question

So, I am all set to close on Friday evening, and I just found out that the title company wants me to sign a hold harmless because there are 2 open/expired permits. The first is a permit for a roof replacement in 2005. I did some research to find out why it was opened and it was because it failed inspection. I then did some research on the contractor, and it was one of those company's that came down to Florida just to take advantage of all of us who had such major hurricane damage. The company was fined SEVERAL times, and eventually put out of business. So now I am in a situation I have no idea how to handle. I am a first time home buyer, I have only until the 1st to get out of the apartment I am renting and can't really afford for this to get delayed. The roof was replaced in 2005. I have no idea how to find out why it failed. I want to call a contractor to come take a look at it, because I am super scared that I will have the city inspect and have them tell me the whole thing needs to be ripped off because it is not up to code. I am also nervous because I am not sure if the roofing "code" has changed since then, and if it has, does the new inspection have to match today's code, or the code at the time the permit was pulled.

The second open/expired permit is for an AC installation in 1995!! I know the AC was replaced in 2007. I wasn't even aware that you had to have an AC installation permitted. Any ideas on how difficult it is to make this one go away?

Ultimately, I am trying to decide if it is worth signed the hold harmless letter, and handling the open permits at a later date. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

P.S. If I posted in the wrong category please let me know, and please let me know which category to post it to.

• August 27 2014 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
You might want to ask real experts about this. I would contact the building dept where you are to ask.