Profile picture for ZUser1

Opinions wanted please

I am considering buying a house.  I consider it to be a good price.   It is in a convenient and quiet area.  However, there is a cemetary about 300 yards away at the end of the road.   The fact there is a cemetary close by doesn't bother my wife or I but my wife thinks that the cemetary being there, when the time comes for us to sell it, makes the house harder to sell.

I would be obliged for any opinions as to if the closeness of the cemetary affects marketability.  Obviously, given the difficulties current in R.E. presently, the length of time it has been on the market is of little guidance.

Thanks in advance.

July 29 2008 - US

Profile picture for Bette Defarm
IMHO the answer to this question is affected by the area. In my neck of the woods (NE Connecticut) a cemetary is a plus, people think: quiet neighbors and a historical landmark. When I lived on the west coast, even in a professional neighborhood, it was a serious issue.

Agree here with Bette, where I live it would not be the best scenario for selling a house but not the worst either.

Backing to a busy street or to a shopping center is a much worse issue.

Profile picture for supercub

I wouldn't consider it an issue at all. It pretty much assures you that there will be no above ground developement in the future :). By your own statement, it isn't a problem and I doubt you are the only couple that see it that way.

Now, if it were in a flood plain, I may have a concern, but most cemetarys are on little hills, a closer to God thing I guess.

Profile picture for ZUser1

Thank you all for your opinions.

ZUser1

Profile picture for babysladkaya

I totally understand your concerns!  300 yards is not too bad, that's almost 1/5 of a mile, correct?  I would say, as long as the house is not overlooking the cemetery, it's fine.  Usually, the area is much quiet. 

CREEPY!

j/k

but it wont be a plus or future selling point.

Profile picture for mickee

Some feung sui buyers will not buy homes near a cemetery.

My sis lives about 100 yards from a beautiful masonic graveyard. The best neighbors you could ever have IMO...You know they wont be having partys and parking their cars infront of your house.

I would much rather live next to a graveyard then a housing track. 

Profile picture for amaryllism

we just bought a house. now, i love the house we bought, but we take care of my mother-in-law and we did not get my first choice because she was vehemently opposed to living near a cemetary. i said, hey, quiet neighbors, no possible construction, yeah! she said, bad feng shui (sp?). yeah, we're not chinese.

Profile picture for OzO
  • OzO
  • Contributions:15

Your wife is right.  You only postpone the pain as the seller would've told you if candid.  However, if you plan on living in it for eons and don't mind the superstition/religion crap, the pain may be far out enough to justify the immediate savings.

Scams and Fraud
Profile picture for Michael Emery
Latest reply by Michael Emery
  • Posted by Russ Hatfield Jr.
  • In Home Buying
Bypass the Buyers Agent and Win!!!
Profile picture for joe4562
Latest reply by joe4562
1 day ago | 95 answers
Why you should "NOT" buy a Bonadelle (De Young) (McCaffrey) Home.
Profile picture for susie betancur
Latest reply by susie betancur
buying a home
Profile picture for kmwall08
Latest reply by kmwall08
July 23 | 3 answers
Can a buyer put multiple offers?
Latest reply by user4364299
July 23 | 8 answers