"Other" discussion category including "mixed bag" disappears?

It was here yesterday; it appears "gone" today.  Obviously the existing threads were not "deleted", but "moved"; but where to?

I'm sure I should be able to find it, but don't even know where to post this; I guess I'll try "Zillow Questions".

Yes, we've heard for some time that the categories would be cleaned up and streamlined a bit.  But it still takes some getting used to.

I guess no "news" category anymore either.

March 15 2012 - US

Best Answer
I think the mixed bag category added value.

Profile picture for jboli
Apologies for the blandness :). We considered a number of alternatives but settled on General Discussion because we think its purpose will be more clear to non-regulars.

Connie - Yes, we will be moving some existing threads over to that category soon.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
WooWho!

Agree with Tiffany...expected a cool name

but whatever works.  so Thanks!!
are you going to mark existing threads as that category?

Thanks Jonas! Although "General Discussion" is a bit bland. I thought Zillow would come up with something more zippy.

Profile picture for jonasboli
Hello everyone -

Based on this thread, we've brought back a water cooler category - check out "General Discussion" under "Zillow Questions." Let us know how that works for you.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Jonas Boli

well...since Mixed Bag worked before.
if it wasn't "broken"  seems like it would work again.
just my thoughts...
looking forward to see what you do.

Thanks for the feedback, all! We're running this by a few others, too, and although we'll probably end up with a name a little less creative -- ok, maybe even a lot less creative! -- we'll bring the category back in about a month.

We're also exploring how we might migrate the threads that used to be in the some of these subcategories over to the new subcategory once it's added -- agreed that that would be a good thing if at all feasible.

Thanks again!
Russ
Zillow Customer Care

yes but many more than "regular posters" used the mixed bag category.

Just reading the responses shows very little interest in a separate category other than the usual handful of 'hardcore' posters. My 2 cents is "Nooks and Corners" if there should be a separate category.

Grab bag is good!!
catchy

never know what's inside til you open it.  (kinda like a box of chocolates) but no need to rip off a movie for the title.

Profile picture for hpvanc
Assorted Miscelany Stuff

"chit-chat"?
"casual conversation"?
"non Real Estate"?
"Grab-bag"?
"side topics"?
"emotional affirmation"?
"roller coaster"?
"taking a break"?
"free for all"?
"no marketing here"?
"group affinity"?
"free time"?
"humor, rants, food and politics"?
"tossed topics"?

I have no clue; but "water cooler" is nice.

I just hope there is a way to use an archive record to move all the prior "mixed bag", "news" and general "other" back from "Zillow questions" to a sub-category for non-Real Estate, regardless of what it is called.

obviously I like "the water cooler"
but mixed bag served more purposes than that.

i was kinda wondering if making the watering hole or tavern go away wasn't the goal behind this change.

side banter draws attention to other threads.-seems like a good thing to me.

I don't have a preference as to what it is called, but eliminating the side banter doesn't refocus the group - rather it eliminates a lot of the camaraderie that keeps people here.

@Russ:

The water cooler

Hi all,

We hear ya! In hindsight, a good almost-anything-goes category does make sense. Every online community needs a virtual water cooler, after all.

What are your thoughts on a name? 

"Other"
"Mixed Bag"
"General Discussion"
Something else?

Russ

Profile picture for hpvanc
I definitely miss the Other > Mixed Bag category.  Hopefully Zillow will reconsider the deletion as threads that don't fit continue to appear.

"But it still takes some getting used to." -

As a person that doesn't change software unless it is absolutely necessary, even if there are substantial known bugs in the existing software, and as a person that firmly believes in the motto of "if it isn't broken, don't 'fix it'", change for change sake is something I will likely never get used to.

But with all the major stores in the area doing complete remodels moving almost every product to some other location in the store, and with internet pages rarely staying constant for more than a couple months, I've gotten used to the idea that things will change regardless if I want them to or not, and I just need to learn to adapt to the changes and figure out where they move things to, and how to accomplish the things that were previously possible.

I still won't "upgrade" my software if I don't have to.  But there is nothing I can choose to do about other people's published products.

As far as I can tell, there is no substantial "quality" change one way or the other.  It should be a lot easier for people to create new threads in the correct category with fewer categories and fewer subcategories.  There are some things that I'm going to miss though.  Especially the view counts on the listings.  And yes, I miss the "other" and "mixed bag" categories.  I think they should put the "mixed bag" category back, but I guess we should try it this way for a while to see how it works out.

well it's too soon to really speak.  I haven't spent much time here today.
I suffer from ACR  which is "Automatic Contradictory Response"   which includes an aversion to significant change if it wasn't my idea.

but later I usually come around and realize sometimes that change wasn't so bad.

right now I am in ACR mode.
so I'll wait to see if it passes before I comment much more.

Dunes Tavern was in "mixed bag" under the "other" category; now it is in the "Zillow Questions" category with no sub-category.  No threads were deleted as part of the re-organization.  They just re-grouped many of the sub-categories.

I think the "mixed bag" category added value too, especially as it served a major purpose for frustrated sellers that needed to provide emotional support for one another during a very trying time.

It certainly was easier to find those kinds of threads when they had their own category.

But maybe not having a separate category for it will reduce strange associations, such as Zillow statisticians being responsible for careless ship operators?

Anyway, they can always add a "mixed bag" category back if it is needed.  Only I don't know how they would move all of the prior mixed bag threads back to mixed bag now that they have been combined under "Zillow questions".

I think it was a good idea for them to combine "bugs" and "suggestions", as there was a huge overlap between the two, and sometimes the "suggestions" were just about known bugs, and sometimes the "bugs" was nothing wrong with the way the site was working, but an option for an "improvement".

Wasn't The Tavern in the mixed bag?

No other opinions nor comments on the issue?

So, is Zillow trying to discourage "mixed bag" type discussions since there is no longer a specific category for them?

Well, a quick check does seem to indicate the "other" threads ended up in "Zillow Questions", mostly without a sub category.

View count on the thread listings is now missing too.  It now is necessary to open the thread to see the view count.