Profile picture for VikkiCurtis

Our neighbors think they have the right to cut across our front yard.

We have asked them politely to not do this, that didn't work. We have stated do not cross through our yard and that didn't work. We are in Gresham Oregon, what else can we do? We are currently saving money for a picket fence but we do not believe this will stop them.
  • March 22 2013 - Centennial
  • 0

I'd landscape with thorny bushes so that it is unpleasant to cut through.   There are many possibilities that grow extraordinarily well in the Pacific NW.   That could include rugosa roses, barberry, and many others. 

While it might be a bit of a bother, how is it really a problem?  Of course, you could escalate the situation by posting "no trespassing" signs and talk to law enforcement, but that may back fire.

Profile picture for VikkiCurtis
It's really a problem because it is not their property, it doesn't take any more time for them to continue past our property before they enter theirs, it's disrespectful and they think they have the right to be on our property.

I can imagine that it is uncomfortable to have trespassers.   I don't like everything that my neighbors do, and although some of them are in clear violation of city codes I recognize I have to live with my neighbors for many years so most of the time we just take a deep breath and tolerate.

As it bothers you so much, it sounds like it is either time to consult with your attorney or go to the nursery and make it so it is physically uncomfortable for them to go across your property.   The landscaping options offered (and a good nursery can give you many more) are considerably less expensive than a picket fence and also more uncomfortable for passing through.    It is the season for excellent success with plantings in the Pacific NW, so plan a trip to the nursery this weekend.

Re-landscaping will be considerably less expensive than an attorney and probably more effective

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
No good ever comes from confrontation.  You either get nice neighbors or the neighbors from hell.

The other great barrier is Arborvitae trees.  Evergreen and grow fast.  You only plant a few feet apart and within 3 years they have grown together to create a barrier and grow 10-12 feet high.  I planted them in Virginia and they became giant in no time. 

I had kids who used to cut through my back yard every day after school.  I decided that was a great time to water the lawn and turned the sprinklers on from inside the house as soon as they got half way across my lawn.  After a few days they got the message.

Joe Biden would say "Get a shotgun and fire 2 warning shots from your balcony"  Sorry I couldn't resist but they would get the message. LOL
 Actually you do have a delicate situation that can easily escalate to a war. I like the idea of planting unfriendly prickly bushes and a fence is good idea to. If you have a dog you could let it do its business where they walk for a week or 2.  
 A relative has lakeside property and the amount of rude people that argue with him when he kicks them off his beach is amazing. They have even demanded that he pick up his dogs poo because their kid might step in it but sure enough they will leave their trash?  He can point to the several No Trespassing signs and the offenders wil lsay that it doesn't apply to them.   
 People can be really rude. 
 A fence, plantings and a shotgun might be your best bet. 
 Good luck   

Dog poop is a good suggestion for the short term. 

A relative uses a motion activated sprinkler (available at Home Depot) to keep the raccoons out of his koi pond.  I've been sprayed with that, and it certainly makes me plan more carefully.

Profile picture for VikkiCurtis
lol great ideas, unfortunately part of the problem is their dog poos in our yard. We have taken to picking it up early morning and placing it below the car doors. Their dog doesn't come into our yard so much anymore.

Profile picture for Bill Eckler

There's no substite for being direct! I view this as a simple lack of respect....some people require more that one awakening. Try stating your position again, and again, and....I've heard, "Good fences make good neighbors....."

I have an idea. How about using a motion activated water repellant device like this one? Keep your lawn nice and green as well as keep the neighbors off it. One unexpected run in with the cold water and they might be little less likely to invade your space without thought.

People are fully trainable. They obviously don't have any concern for your feelings so making them concerned for themselves might be more effective. I would not leave it out all the time since intermittent reinforcement is more effective. You can also consider a flat green soaker hose on a programmable timer. Put the timer in the backyard and when they cross your lawn hit the on button or use the timer to make it inconvenient for them to cross your yard. If they mention it, say you wanted to keep crows out of the yard or that your new sprinkler timer makes regular watering so convenient and saves water.

Short story...A neighborhood person took to letting their dog do their large business in my yard and never picked it up. Asked them to stop but they said couldn't control where their dog went. Twice with the miracle sprinkler system broke their 6 month habit for good and sent the thick neighbor home with a smelly soaked pooch. No ongoing bad blood no confrontation just natural consequences. Give your neighbor a chance to be retrained. Even with people who are a little slow, water can do wonderful things.

I like wetdawgs reply:

...a motion activated sprinkler (available at Home Depot) to keep the raccoons out of his koi pond.

That will keep the dog and any unwanted trespassers off your yard AND it has the benefit of keeping your lawn nice and green!

Profile picture for RealEstateCrew
Have the police allowed you to file a trespassing complaint?  

Profile picture for breteremt
I am an Emergency Medical Technician with the local Fire Department, and our neighbor who is in his mid 60's measures his lawn and then decides on his own that if my lawn is shorter he will mow zig zags into it. The other day while I was at work my wife called whom was at our house with my 1 yr old daughter telling me that this a$$ was in the front of our house picking up branches and doing stupid things, we have adt and I also told her to call the police. My next step is a notarized court order and a small corner fence from lowes with the bill ending up in his mailbox. If he walks again on my property which we rent, he will be greeted with multiple city police.

I would plant new dawn (light pink) lace cascade or mm Alfred Carrier or Darlow's Enigma. Heirloom climbing roses can be trained as a fence quickly. They will need pruning to keep them low. One of these will creat a line fifteen or more feet by June. Buy bare root now. Dig generous holes three feet into your side of the property line. Compost and leave for winter then in February start fertilizing with 1/2 strong rose feed. Plants can be purchased online from Heirloom growers as bare root for six to ten dollars a piece. Make certain you plant well inside of lot line.

Then reverse of other advice: make them cookies, give them a little bag of dog bisquits, smile and wave. You have to see them and live next to them- don't contact police (they won't do much) - don't waste money on a lawsuit it will make things blow up.

Stop putting dog droppings on their side, the negative energy will eat your happy days. Soon you will have flowers, bees, thorns, and a barrier that will give you the privacy you want.

Profile picture for jet1979
I think you're overreacting and being a bit too technical about things. Unless your yard is so small that they can clearly see in your windows as they pass by, then just be nice.
  • May 13