Profile picture for mikey.b44

Out of Area

I'm currently serving in the military overseas and likely wont be back until late this fall. I have a house I plan to sell next spring. Is there a smart way to hire someone to do the some minor landscaping or interior fixes without getting overcharged? I have good friends and tennants looking after the place while I'm away but wouldn't want to trouble them with the work. Where should I start?
  • July 18 2007 - US
  • 0

If you have an "Angie's list" or something comparable in your area, I would start there, but you are still going to need to have someone be your eyes on the ground to make certain that everything is done and done right. Have a friend volunteer for this job and when you come home take them out for a nice dinner. Some day you may be in a position to repay that favor.

I agree with sas912. My wife and her sister are trying to fix up and sell a home they inherited that's on the other side of the country. They've had nothing but trouble: jacked up estimates, and "professionals" that don't show up when they say they will (or even return phone calls). If you really feel guilty about asking a friend to help, offer to pay them for their time. Tell them that the amount you pay them will certainly be less than the cost (in time, money, and grief) of trying to get the work done blind.