Profile picture for Kaye Norenberg

Paint Colors

I am buying a 1935 Cape Cod style home.  The trim is white.  Doesn't anybody have great colors they have used in historic homes?

• June 18 2008 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

have you looked at the Ben Moore historic colors?  What part of the country?  What's the landscape like?

Profile picture for Kaye Norenberg

I have all the color samples from BM.  Have you ever tried Philadelphia Cream?  The house is in Ohio on a somewhat wooded lot.  I want a warm, almost cottage look.  Nothing stiff or formal.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby

No but sounds pretty :o)  Shades of white is always beautiful.

Adios AZ-

I think I would LOVE your house! Between the architectural style and the soapstone and carrera marble kitchen! Anyhow- I adore Ben Moore's colors. Do you have the Historic Deck? I have all the designer binders, decks and sample books from them. If you email me, I will take a look in the daylight and pull some colors. Or, you can tell me what colors to look at and I can critique them for you. Color is hard, since you really have to see through the color and look at the base-tone. Email me at janelle@jsteinbergdesign.com if you want.

Also, I use Dunn Edwards paints in practice. But, their "Historic" palette is not as large as Ben Moore's. But, DE may be another option for you.

I like the yolo colors and the sherwin williams devine deck.  Obviously not historical colors but beautiful nonetheless.

Blues look beautiful in capes with white trim and they look beautiful anywhere in the country. Here in NE we use historical and colornial shades (I do like Ben Moore) in capes when that is what the owner is going for. But you could do neutral walls and play up colors in your furnishings & fabrics. Depends on how long you plan to keep your home.

Profile picture for Kaye Norenberg

We decided to stay away from the blues because of the dreary winter days in Ohio.  The colors we choose are BM 1038 with white dove trim.  We have 1037 in a smaller bathroom and eventually the kitchen/dining room will be 1039 with white dove trim and wainscoating.  So far it looks beautiful. 

Profile picture for Kaye Norenberg

I really, really like Ralph Lauren's "Soho". It's a nice mushroomy color that isn't too grey, is nice & neutral, looks great with everything. I haven't used it outdoors yet, but it looks rockin with white. I have it in my dining room in Seattle and my master in Philadelphia.

Profile picture for Kaye Norenberg

Sounds much like the colors we used.  Someday I hope to post pictures again on Zillow.

Profile picture for jupitermoon202
Castle Path from Behr paint. If I had a dollar for every compliment I've received...