Profile picture for bosnycmia

Painting cost and time for 1BR condo in Miami FL?

I just closed the condo purchase (yay!) and will move in 2 months from outside of FL.  Before that, I will stay in the empty condo for one week to run errands, and thinking to repaint all the walls of my 650sq 1BR.

The condition of wall is pretty good, just some stains from furniture and dents from a few picture frames etc.  How much should I consider to spend for, if I ask a professional to repaint? I just need a simple white latex paint. And how long do they need from start to end? I'm hoping they can do it in 1 or 2 days during the one week stay, so it's done before I move in furniture a few weeks later.

Optionally, if you can recommend a good professional from your own experience, I'd like to consider to use them!  Thank you.

July 24 2011 - Fort Lauderdale

Profile picture for GabrielSuh
A good way of finding a good painter, is to ask your neighbors. If they are happy with the paint job, they will be happy to give you the thumbs up. You could also try to read through yelp reviews in your area. Call at least three to four companies and go from there. As a painter in Los Angeles [hotlink deleted by Zillow moderator], I do get a lot of customers that call me after they tried the DIY, which could cost you more money at the end of the day.  

For future reader's benefit you can typically get home painting done for about $1 per square foot of living space.  Variables that affect the final number would be condition of the surfaces, number of coats, height of walls, and sheen.  Patching takes time.  If covering or choosing vivd colors you may need to prime and then do 2 coats.  Tall walls mean more time and cost.  If you have semi-gloss you should plan on an extra coat (prime first).  Hope this helps.

Profile picture for bosnycmia
Hi - thank you for your reply. I have painted by myself before and I know what it is like. The situation this time is that, I am moving from NY, and I don't drive. During the one week stay, I have other things to do so the time is priority. Buying a ladder/paints/brush etc is a too much -  unless the professional average cost is extra-ordinary, I'm willing to pay for saving time.

Are you just pressed for time to the point of not wanting to DIY? Or are you not confident with your skill level?  If the walls are already white or light the task should be simple. If the walls are dark , it becomes time consuming because of the several coats you have to apply. 

Buy the paint and primer in one , it may speed up the process. The paint representative at your local big box store will help you.
 Invite a few friends over , have some food and a few drinks (after you are finished). Start on one wall and just keep rolling . You can do it.
Another option is Craigslist. There are people who will paint for as little as $75 a room.  Be assertive and not awestruck, this way they will not try to take you through the ringer. Control the situation. Give no money upfront and buy your own materials.  
Negotiate small rooms like your kitchen bathroom and closets to equate to one room.