Pet deposit refund or not if tenants broken lease, and house is in good condition?

Can this pet deposit for cover unpaid rental since there are two month left?

August 27 2013 - Las Vegas

It depends on the Landlord-Tenant laws for Nevada.  Sometimes when you separate a deposit by giving it different names, the deposit can only be used for that intended purpose and nothing else.  That's why it is in your best interest to call all deposits a security deposit so damages and any outstanding amounts can be deducted from the security deposit with no problems. 

NRS 118A is the landlord tenant statutes. I am not an attorney but I did own a property management company until earlier this year. In the case of security deposits, as I understand it, the law does not differentiate between security deposits regardless of how they are named. Security deposits are security deposits. Now, if the lease stated that the security will only be used for pet damage, that might be an area to consult with an attorney with. 

Thank you,

Jeffrey Sklar 

Usually is stated on you lease agreement if its going to be returned or not, if it wasn't stated you could use it to clean up the dog's left overs like,fur and more around the house.

Profile picture for jfelker418501
Depends on the laws in your state.  You could go to your Secretary of State's website (e.g. Minnesota Secretary of State.gov), search for "landlord" or "rental lease", and then another search for "pet policy". Or, you could ask a housing attorney (google your zip code and "housing attorney". and just ask over the phone.
I've been a "landlord" and never had that problem, but I'd keep the deposit for sure.