Pet policy flexiblity and listing agent woes. Advise please!

Hi everyone,

I am in a bit of a dilemma here. Let me give a few details:

My husband and I are looking to rent. We are planning to stay away from apartments and would prefer a house, although a decent town house is not out of the question.

Back in August, we found a lovely lake house that was within our price range. I sent an inquiry to the listing agent who responded with the standard "just contact me if you want to set up a showing".

So here is our problem. We have a dog, and the listing states no pets allowed. I've been doing some reading and it seems that some people have been successful in convincing the homeowners that their dog wouldn't cause any problems...so I replied to the listing agent saying we'd love to come look, but we have a dog, would the homeowners be open at all to negotiating on that? And whadya know, the guy never replied to me. I gave him a call after a few days and left a voicemail follow up, and he never called me back.

A few days ago, I noticed the home dropped in price by $100 (it's been on the market 90 days now)! I can't help but think to myself we were perfectly willing to pay the higher price plus MORE for our dog to cover whatever issues they might think he would cause (which would be 0, he's old and arthritic!). I had my husband call the guy and also a friend and no response for them either.

Is there any other way we can get ahold of someone to find out more about the pet policy? Did the listing agent just completely write me off when I mentioned a pet? I am really disappointed he couldn't even bother to write back quickly "sorry there is no flexibility on the pet policy", if that's even the case!

I've heard of buyer's agents, but I don't know if these would help in a rental situation.

We are seeing another agent for a different house but from the same listing agency. Would it be alright to ask him about this other property?

Any help is appreciated!
  • October 18 2012 - Minneapolis
  • 0

Profile picture for AmandaMack1
Yes it is ok to ask another agent about this property. The other agent can even be with another company. Good luck!

Amanda is right in that the other agent may be able to help you with the other rental.  I recently helped prospective tenants in just this situation - I had actually shown them properties for sale initially but they decided renting made more sense.  We found a rental online that they liked but did not allow dogs.  I happened to know the agent who was representing the landlord and was able to put in a call since I could sincerely tell him that the couple would be super tenants - just the kind of tenants a landlord would be delighted to have. Sure enough - they and their dog are now in that apartment.

It might be a good idea to see a place before mentioning the dog - sometimes if the agent or landlord thinks you would otherwise be a good tenant they may decide to be flexible about your pet.

I would also consider putting together a pet "resume" of sorts - info about your dog, its temperament, a testimonial from a past landlord, evidence that the dog is up to date on shots, etc.  I'm not a fan of dogs but I've accepted them in my own rental when I liked the tenant and had some assurance that the dog would not become a problem.  Also, as you mentioned, be upfront about your willingness to pay something extra for having the dog.

The other poster is quite on target suggesting a pet resume.   In addition to the suggestions in her list, I'd like to suggest you obtain a CGC (Canine Good Citizen) certificate for your dog.   Yes, this requires an in person behavior exam.

Should the home of interest not work out, we've discovered that individual owners renting their places tend to be far more flexible than those with property managers.