Profile picture for Valhakar

Phone, music player, GPS. What'cha got?

Another thread spun off into handbags and Ipods.  Got me to wondering, what does everyone use?  We can use the following format:

Phone:
Music Player:

Navigation:

Reasoning: 

Comments:

August 06 2008 - US

Profile picture for Valhakar

Phone: Samsung Blackjack 2
Music Player: Samsung Blackjack 2
Navigation: Samsung Blackjack 2

Reasoning: Technology nerd that hates RIM (Blackberry)

Comments: I pretty much like all my stuff in one package. Phone uses a micro SD card, I currently have 8 GB. The screen is about 10-15% smaller than a Garman and the Bluetooth streams to my car stereo for turn by turn. The Windows Mobile OS uses Windows Media player for ease of use. The phone streams Bluetooth stereo to my headset or the car stereo depending on what it finds.

Nokia clamshell (old one had exposed faceplate and kept autodialing people)

Sansa (had the most accessories outside of ipod)

Tom tom (free at ToysRUs given that I have a cash back CC for them)

I don't have much by way of comments.  I have only used the Tom tom once and it was wrong.  My Sansa player is flimsy but hub has another version that is much sturdier.  The phone is a phone.....

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

I don't understand the whole GPS craze...who knows how to read a real map?  Raise your hand! *Raises hand*.  To me, GPS is ridiculous.  We used a Tom Tom one time, and I hated it.  It isn't always right, and seriously, how often do you go places where you can't read the street signs or look at a map?  Mapquest is the most 'navigation' I've ever needed.  And what about those idiots that take the GPS word as gospel and don't look where they're going before they go there.  The machine says "Continue forward" and the dumbass contines forward onto railroad tracks where the warning bars are down and the bells are going off so people won't cross, but the GPS said to so she gets hit by the friggin train and dies.  WTF??  The GPS didn't tell her a train was coming. A fatal flaw.  Duh??

Or the guy that drove off of a boat ramp into the lake because the GPS told him to turn left instead of right.  Instead of looking for the road, he just turned the steering wheel and drove right into a lake.

Or the TWO people in NY who have driven into the exact SAME building because the GPS told them to turn and instead of looking, they both just drove right into the side of the building.  People hear that voice talking and they think it must be God so they wouldn't dare second guess it. Are you KIDDING ME?!  IDIOTS!

Profile picture for Valhakar

I go driving on remote dirt roads for fun in the Arizona desert.  If I booger it up, its nice to have.  Being that it is in my phone but still usable, it is the best of both worlds.  Even if I can't get a direction, I have the entire US sattelite stored on the phone so I can get an idea where the heck I am. 

Phone: Palm treo 700WX
Music Player: none...  just actually discovered how cool and "ipod" was last night for the first time
Navigation: Garmin C550  and just got the Nuvi750  to pawn the 550 off on my wife.

PC: 2- HP DV2000 laptops ( 1 for backup incase one dies/ usually only carry one at a time)  running Vista 32 and Sprint wireless.

BLTN ... if the person is dumb enough to drive into a building because a GPS told them to do you think for a minute they could read a map ?   and the woman that drove into a train ..... I consider that natural selection!

Phone - LG old but durable...I tend to drop phones and get dirt in the them so I would never buy an expensive phone. Its a waste of money on my part.

None of the above for the rest. I google map things if I dont know where I am going and like I said gadgets are not a priority for me.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

I think the one that drove into the train was 2 weekends ago, I heard it on the radio twice.

I have a $20 phone I bought to replace my Pantech c300 that I dropped out of my pocket 3 times on NYE and broke it in half .  The Pantech replaced a SE z525a fell out of my pocket at a club that someone stole, which replaced another SE z525a that someone stole off the table at the same club.  Soooo....I've quit clubbing there, and quit buying expensive phones.   I bet I'll have this phone for longer than I've had any other phone.

Profile picture for Mikal1

BLTN - Think business travel. GPS has been a gift from the heavens for those who travel frequently on business. I can't even begin to come up with the words to describe how beneficial it's been, and I could even make a nice little "Green" case for GPS - it's saved an awful lot of trees.... Oh GPS, I sing praise to thee! We bow down in adoration before thee! OK, I guess the words are coming to me now....

Phone: Treo...it was supposed to integrate my supra key but my association doesn't support it…guess being in Silicon valley doesn’t mean much when it came to that!

Navagation: built into my Titan…I used to be really good w/maps…now I often pass my own house if it’s off ;)

My daughter has all the iPods
I used to be a real car stereo “aficionado”…nothing under 5k watts Ecplise ect. Now I’ve settled for the Rockford system that came with the truck.

Profile picture for mina36

Music Player: I have an mp3 but I'm not even sure where it is!! Now, on the other paw, I LUFF my iMac. :)

kids all have phones and cd players. hubby has the juke. No gps here. If we get lost, we ask. lol If we are in the desert, we drive in one direction until we find a road.

Oh, i have had gps in the past... on my son's phone! He didn't know. hehehehe  Would just go on the laptop and locate him. roflmao!! He didn't come home from school one day... I walked into the taco shop and ordered dinner for everyone that was home... turned around and walaa! There was the son... without dinner ordered. His expression was priceless.

Profile picture for Oklahomamom

Phone: Palm Centro

Music: Insignia Pilot

GPS: Maps and Mapquest.

I'll probably never use all the features of the Palm, but it's cute. I really like my Pilot. My son has an Ipod, but this was cheaper. I don't see a need for a GPS yet. Mapquest is pretty good if you back it up with some common sense.

Profile picture for mckylie

Phone:  Standard Motorola - not thrills attached

Music:  Sansa

GPS: I don't even have a CD player in my 2003 Jeep!  So, I am pretty simple - I use Mapquest!

Phone: Blackberry Curve 8830
Music Player: eh?

Navigation: GPS

Reasoning:

Comments:

Phone?  Which one?  I have at least 6 wired two-line speaker phones; mostly GE, but other brands, and some wireless.

Music?  two 1/4" real to real tape players, when I'm not using the Victrola or the Edison.  (Yes, you do have to wind them, there is no place to plug them in and no place for batteries).  Actually my preference is a manual vacuum driven player piano with the music punched in paper and the words stenciled on.  Occasionally a dolby surround sound home theater of extremely low cost with the built in dvd/cd unit and am/fm tuner.  Then there is the acustic guitar and a couple hundred sheet music books.

Navigation?  Thomas Brothers books.

(occasionally suplimented with outdated DOS based electronic phone book).

PC?  Commador-64.   Whoops, I forgot, haven't used that for a few years.  Actually, most of my applications are run on 400 MHz Pentium with DOS-6.0 operating system.

Reason?  Existing media, software, drivers, and peripherals are not compatiable with newer hardware, and for many things I use, the older software is substantually more efficient and faster, even after factoring in change in clock rates.

Besides, some of the paper music media is over 100 years old and has suffered no loss of quality, but much of the magnetic and other electronic media has suffered damage and regularly needs to be copied.  Also, some of the magnetic media and other recordings are no longer compatible with any hardware sold, and it is hard to find people and parts to maintain it.  It is a lot easier to repair a mechanical device than it is to swap out a burned transistor or IC on a circuit board.

Whoops, I forgot again!  The computer is 166 MHz Pentium-S.  I finally did upgrade from the 386 and the 486.

"Oh GPS, I sing praise to thee! We bow down in adoration before thee! OK, I guess the words are coming to me now...."

amen Mikal.   I used to travel alot  for work all over the country. Usually by the time I was ready to move on to the next city  I would finally know where I was.  Now I know immediately how to get places and where all the restaurants are etc.   Last week I was in Atlanta and was in the mood for a PF changs.  POOF  and 10 minutes later I was there.  Mine also does trafiic as well which can be flakey at times.  If my normal route takes me 30 minutes by highway and there is a 20  minute delay  the GPS will actually route me through side streets to get me there in less time. But since the delay is posted via clearchannel  it can be off about  but is usually pretty accurate on major arteries.

Pasa why does it not suprise me that you own a commodore 64 ..  That is where I learned my first programming ohhh say about 25 years ago at the age of 10. We actually wrote a text only interative version of a dungeons and dragons game    ( yes we were dorks)  10 goto 20  ...lol

Profile picture for Valhakar

LOL @ PASA.  My phone will run DOS 5.x.  Its one reason I picked it up for 80 bucks.  Once it is no longer a cell phone, I can still use it as a tiny PC.  I almost have Elder Scrolls: ARENA running on it.  :-P

We had an HP 3000 series in the house in the 70s and ARPANET email before house hold PCs were even around.  I was at the ripe old age of 9.  Learning to switch from Stack to GPR in the 80s was anoying as hell...... but I digress.

I programed quite a bit in HP-3000 Basic and and HP-3000 Assembly language in 1978 and 1979, but of course it is way too big for any reasonable house, and most of the copies I still have of those programs are on punched paper tape.

It was probably about 1979 were we had a Commodore PET in the house, only 20 KB RAM, no disk drives, an external cassette tape drive for storing programs.  I wrote a few programs for it, and some interface application for some research equipment.  Someone tossed the PETs.

Prior to programing the HP-3000 I programed in BASIC+ on a PDP-11. (Digital Equipment Corporation).

Usually only universities and military related companies had any access to ARPNEt.  I certainly wasn't involved, and by the time phone modems were readily available, there was too much trouble trying to get the configuration set the same on both ends; not to mention, the were only at about 110 Baud.

Remember the "accusticouplers" for connecting to the phone lines on the telitypes?  Don't have an accusicoupler, but there is a telitype with papertape punch and reader sitting in a relative's basement.

(I need to connect the telitype to an RS-232 port to read in all those old paper tapes and convert them.  I also was supposed to make a punch card reader for archiving someone elses' old Fortran programs for an IBM-360, but never did.)

Pasa the info you need is way in the back of my brain somewhere and may have possibly been memdumped somewhere along the way.  I havent worked with thinnet, thicknet, token ring, in years  but do have to work with Rs 232 and 485  once in a great while but again even thats been 4-5 years.  if your serious about the RS232 modem  I could probably run down the connection and config info as well as the parity and baud  settings. if I remember correctly ( really stretching here) that the connection from the machine to the 232 modem is straight through with the reversal of the TX RX pairs and a  common setting of 9600- 6,1,1

Profile picture for Valhakar

Well then, arent we all a pack of old fart nerds.  :-D

I'm in no hurry, and don't have any desire to relocate the telitype any time soon; but would like to see the paper tape reader working eventually.  The bigger issue is what connector is on the telitype.  I don't remember; it may even have been cut off.  But it is definitely not the 9 pin connector, thus identifying the wires is not so easy for me.

I do have a higher priority RS232 connection issue, but will probably have to write some software.  I have a light meter and a multi-meter that can output to RS232.  I would like to use the light meter mounted on a golf cart, with a counter added to the golf cart wheel, and connect it to a laptop so that I can roll it down a sidewalk, street, or parking lot, and get the numbers into the computer for input and plotting in AutoCad.  Many cities require 1 fc minimum in parking lots for security.  And there is a threshold (I forgot, but perhaps 1/100 fc?) that is considered a safety risk that could get a city sued if not addressed.

I would also like to use GPS for such applications and other measurements, but to get the accuracy desired, I would need to read two GPS units simultaniously with one in a fixed known position, and take the difference between the two readings.  With such a method, one can get an accuracy of 1 cm.  But I know of no-one that sells a package with the two GPS units, software, interface, and radio transmitter for the second unit.

Profile picture for Valhakar

Use 2 bluetooth GPS and a laptop.  From there you redneck it with a couple of sticks.  Works pretty well to nail down accuracy and will actually let you get a true north reading, something most civilian units wont let you do.

Couple of sticks?  Not familiar with that term.

Do you have a low cost recommendation on the bluetooth GPS units?

I do like that solution for avoiding having to use radio transmitters.  Can the bluetooth cover a range of 1/4 mile?

Profile picture for Valhakar

"Couple of sticks" to separate the units by a few meters. The mental image I had when I wrote it was a long yard stick clamped to the laptop screen. :-D You use the known distance between the units to make the calculations. The GPS systems my father worked on in the 80s used this approach for large mount systems that were in motion.

I cannot make a recommendation of cheap units. I have stopped active tinkering for most toys. If I was looking for some, I would try to source the units not mounted to a chassis from Taiwan. Buy 50, use 4-6 for my own use, mount the rest to boards and resell on EBay.

Profile picture for Valhakar

Oops, sorry.  Bluetooth is only good for about 50 meters max.

New Help Section
Delete My Account
My Zestimate is WRONG
Profile picture for lucphan1937
Latest reply by lucphan1937
Can a homeowner contact the previous owner of the eyesore abandoned house next door?
Profile picture for Michael Unis
Latest reply by Michael Unis
1 day ago | 4 answers
Dunes Tavern & Conspiracy Center
Latest reply by Pasadenan