Photogaphy

Um...I'm a workig photographer...these photos, for the most part, on Zillow are well...
I do photograph architecture at a professional level and do it very reasonably priced for agents. Is there any way to post my avaliability?

Eric

June 25 2011 - Louisville

Best Answer
You can sign up as a professional so you are listed here.

You are right, there are a lot of lousy photos associated with real estate!

Go 'door knocking' in your area. Talk to local brokers and agents about your services. Show them your portfolio. You should be going after the big dogs that are selling $500k+ homes.

In general, photos are taken by realtors themselves. Some pics ok. I personally use a professional photographer and it has brought me kudos in my listing presentations. Just one more thing to help my marketing effort.

I do believe, Norm D Plume, that you are correct on this...now if I could only learn how to spell photography correctly... (sic)

There is this option of shooting with a simple set up as you outlined...or one even easier...if anyone is interested, well, let me know and perhaps I can assist.

In my little bag of tricks, I have photographed museums, historical homes and so on. I do my job very well indeed from capture to edit to presenting.

I can take you from the best to expect from a point and shoot up to what you can expect, with alot of training, from a full set of studio strobes with remote triggers or with Nikon CLS (Nikon digital remotes) to light your clients home...how much do you want to spend on kit (gear)?

Of course, if you live near Louisville, Kentucky...I could just do the work for you! It's always your choice, of course.

back in the day I would use a 4x5 for architectural photography (yes, the kind where you put your head under the dark cloth); great resolution and you could adjust the focal plane to avoid converging lines (i.e. tall buildings).

These days get a good digital SLR, a range of lenses, and Adobe CS4.

Clients should fire an agent on the spot for not posting photos or for doing poor photos. If they can't provide a great presentation in the marketing, they're probably lacking in the rest of the details.

Zillow is mostly a response site, not unpaid advertising. You should find the questionable photos and post "advice" on how it should have been done. Eventually you'll start getting the calls.

Thanks all,
Eric

Eric, real estate photography is a whole different animal from other types of photography.  No doubt some of the ... well, less than stellar ... photos are being done by portrait or wedding photographers. If you really want to learn about real estate photography, set up a Flickr account and join the "Photography for Real Estate" group.  It will be an eye-opener for you ...

My all time favorite real estate photo was from Pleasanton CA in 2004 or 2005.  The room decorated to the nines but the view out the window showed two dogs doing, well,  what dogs do! 

You think you've seen some bad pictures on Zillow.

Check out this piece from curbed.com