Profile picture for prasoonpm

Physician on J1 visa, is it possible to get a mortgage?

I am a doctor doing residency in Radiology, and I am here on J1 visa. My residency program is for 4 years and I intend to settle in US after that. I have a SS no. and have a good credit history-740. Is it possible for me to get a mortgage? I am ready to put a downpayment of atleast 20%. Any answers or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Mohan
  • September 25 2010 - Lincoln Park
  • 0

It would be easier as an investment property owned by a foreign national. As a foreign national resident, normally a JI is only issued for 2 years.

I can understand since you are seeking a medical degree that it may be for 4 years. Although most professionals in health care are required to return to their native country after graduation for usually 2 years.

Do you have a Federal Document that excludes you from not returning to your native country for a certain period of time.

Happy funding, Rudi