Profile picture for apollonius

Pissed at my realtor

Ugh. Found out about a FSBO, the realtor missed it (this is a tiny town). And I highly suspect she didn't bring it up because it was FSBO and she didn't want to deal with the commission mess. 

Great house, great price, perfect area. I only found out about it because I went for a walk in the neighborhood (which the realtor lives in). 

I will not renew any contract with any realtor after this. And will go it alone. If I'd been on the lookout (wasn't looking because hey, I have a realtor "buyer's agent" to do that for me) I would not have missed it.

May 25 2010 - US

I'm not your agent, but I'd like to put in a few words on behalf of the other agents out there.  While the agent probably should have known about the FSBO if it was in their neighborhood, it's unfair to expect that all real estate agents know about every FSBO on the market.  Many FSBO owners throw a sign in the yard, maybe run an ad in the paper for a week, and then just sit back and hope the house sells.  Without proper marketing, no one will know the home is there.  You yourself state that you only found out about  it when you went for a walk in the neighborhood.  This is one of the main reasons that I always suggest that a seller list their house with an agent.  A good agent will make sure that their listings don't go unnoticed, and that buyers don't have to look very hard to find them.

Profile picture for apollonius
This house was a street over from her house.

The town has fewer than 2000 homes. With maybe 20 on the market. 

Excuses are not appropriate. When I mess up in my job - there is no excuse, and there is none for her. That is part and parcel of being a professional. 

Realtors want respect, they can treat their occupation like a full time job. Not a hobby. 

It it true that some agents avoid FSBO's period. Honest agents will tell you that. If you are not satisfied with your agent consider switching now or talking to them about your disappointment in missing a FSBO that you felt was a good match. Your agent may have just missed this house because it was not on MLS or they may have wanted a larger commission. Either way there is no reason to hang onto a marginal agent until you find a house you really like when you will get stuck with them until you close.

Tell your agent how you feel and if they can't make you feel better about it, then you may want to ask for a release from the contract and move on. There are lots of good hardworking agents out there. If you don't have one now, get one.

Profile picture for apollonius
Yea, well. 

What will be will be.

We won't renew. Unlike many we have time and money and don't have to buy (or sell). 

So...whatever. I'm not pleased, however. And this has left such a sour taste in my mouth I'm unlikely to hire a realtor again, ever. 

I can understand why you are angry. I am not a fan of buyers agreements that tie clients to one agent for this very reason. Without that contract, you would probably walk right now and find another agent. They know that so they tie you to them legally unfront. Word to the wise, if you do use an agent in the future DON"T agree to sign a contract with your buyer's agent. They do not benefit you as a buyer and they tend to give your agent too much comfort to act on their behalf instead of yours.

Profile picture for apollonius
Yea. I'm over it. It's just a house, there will be others. She's fired though. 

Profile picture for hpvanc
Just look at the sellers forum for their tactics, some of them boycott flat fee listings, anyone that is offering less than the full customary commission for your area.  Some of them will push and keep pushing the ones with bonuses to the buyers agent (mine did this). 

It is really impossible for a buyers agent to work for the buyer when they get paid by the seller.  Even the ones that can delude themselves into believing it and try to do a good job for buyers work for sellers in general, they can't get paid unless they close a deal.  Buyers agency is a total and complete farce.

You can just fire your agent if you are dis-satisfied.  There is no need to wait untill the time expires unless you are not ready to buy now.  Not all FSBO's will attempt to work with agents.  I have talked to many and have had some each way.  If I were your agent, I would have talked to the sellers and tried to work something out.  Worst case senarion would have been to tell you about the house and ask you to pay the buyers side commission if they were not willing to compensate me.

When I represent a buyer I normally ask if they have identified any properties in addition to those I suggest. If they say "no" I tell them that we'll look at listed properties first. That's because there are more listed properties and those sellers are already working with a realtor. It's much easier to access the house. If they want to preview a FSBO house, I'd gladly get a one-time showing – if the seller is willing.

I had one seller refuse to sign a one-time showing contract. I told the buyer that the seller is unwilling to work with me. The reason is because the seller wanted 15-20% above the fair market value (based on info the seller told me).

If we've exhausted all the listed properties without finding something compatible, I ask my buyer-client if he wants to readjust his priorities or if I should look at trying to find a FSBO or new construction property marketed by the builder. I have some other strategies too for my buyer clients.

I s=have read most all of your post. It seems there is no changing your mind because of your aggrivation. I fully understand that every buyer and seller should have the best representation possible. It may or may not of been an over-sight. Seems no-one knows. I only want to ask that you think about the fact that in any job..,any.., you can not put everyone into the same group. That is the same as saying "All police are bad" because of one bad run in. That's just not true. I have letters of recommendation from clients that are now my friends that bought a FSBO and I was their agent.

There is no reason to lock someone into a contract.  If you can't work together, you can't work together, period.  All of my representation contracts include a clause that either side (buyer/seller, me) can cancel the agreement at any time and for any reason.  Being upfront about this has actually helped build confidence with my clients.

Profile picture for apollonius
She's fired, that is all.

These excuses from people in the same profession are pathetic.

Real-estate is a major business transaction. Act like a professional. 

The fact that there are those who make excuses for her only confirms my suspicion; realtors are equally worthless. 

Profile picture for apollonius
She's fired, that is all.

Real-estate is a major business transaction. Act like a professional, get the deal done. 

Andy, I'd fire you too. The Seller is under no obligation to hire you. And if you're my agent you're there to see that I get the house I want. Your model is one based in a time gone by. Welcome to Zillow, and other listing services. I give your profession 10 years. 

No need to try and cool yours heals but some of the agents have given you good advise. You could have just gotten out of the contract. Most agents give 110% of what they can. I spent twelve years in the military and went to war for this country. I am very proud of my service and the fact I am a veteran. Not sure if your agent was a Realtor which is a Trademark as well. Some are just agents with a license. You are not the first and may not be the last that I have heard of that have not gotten what they felt they Needed. I say that because I have heard one side. I for one am a good agent and could send you twenty plus letters from single mom's.., first time home buyers..,investors.., businessmen and women.., etc. Please understand when you made that public statement you were saying I am the same as the person you had an issue with. No I am not. I have helped my clients that were new to the area unload trucks and bring friends to help out of my pocket. I have closed a deal on a Church and gave 100% of my earnings back to the Church. I do not take money OUT of the offering plate. I put it in.

I hope you have an open mind even with your frustrations. Please never put a group of people into one class. How many priest and cops are in prision? Does that make the others bad? No. It's how you were raised. I would have let you out if I dropped the ball. The best players do it. I really wish you the best even if you wrote we are all that bad.., I know that not to be the truth. If you blast me for this it simply would make me understand if I was working FOR you I would of done the same as I said you could to to me. I would of fired you. Only have done that two times in eight years. I think you and I could of worked it out.., I would hope so. Some folks say I am a hard  but what more would you want working for you? By the way.., What do you do for a living to pay your bills and put food on the table for your family? Just curious. Are all of your co-workers 100% honest and great? Do they spend Sunday working? Do they honestly give 100% everyday to help the company and not just get a check? I know the answer to my last question. So if you are the hard working man that works past what is ask..,we work the same.

May sound a litle hard but when the time comes to get the right deal you do not want any less.

Works over.., unless someone calls.., back to my garden.

Hope you have thick skin as I do. I never posted that your people will be out of business in a few years. Hope you do well.

John C Hunter
Hunter Homes Realty , Inc.
704-244-1246 Direct

Profile picture for apollonius
Yea. I do know. And yes, I work hard, and if I don't do my job there is no excuse. Not, "the baby was sick," or "I was sick" or "I haven't seen my husband in 3 days" or "I haven't slept in 48 hours."

Man up. Quit making excuses. Get the job done - or be replaced. If you offer value you have nothing to fear. A relator is there because he or she offers something I can not duplicated with a google search.

I have access to the property records, I can run a regression analysis to see what something is "worth." For me a realtor is hired because she can provide a service I can not provide for myself. For me, that's intelligence I can't get; ie knowledge of the surrounding area. I lack this information because I don't live there and don't devote myself to this 24 hours a day. In theory, that's why she and her broker gets 3% of the transaction. (Not the laughable explanation of the legal forms, you want a lawyer hire a real estate lawyer). 

That means she needs to provide tens of thousands of dollars of worth to me. Based off what she knows of the surrounding market. She failed. She lost her "job" because of that. 

If you're anything like her, so will you. 

Profile picture for shasta_steve
I am not an agent but not sure what any of these people on here did to give you bad advice or really even to defend your agent that much.  You sound like you just want to vent and show what a real man you are.  You mentioned several times that you "FIRED" the agent and you also mentioned that you time and "money" that others don't. Really it sounds like you are just trying to make yourself feel important.  You  need to get over yourself.  If you have a bad agent get rid of them and advise others not to use them too.  Pretty simple really. 

Now I have bought several houses and sold a couple too.  I have had some good agents and some horrible ones too.  I have got rid of two of them and should have got rid of another.   I recently got rid of one who was a nice guy and I would guess a pretty good agent but we just did not click.  I hired another one who I would trust my life with.  He is a great guy and was always looking out for my best interest, even when it was not always in his. 

I guess an agent could answer this for me but I have never had an agent show me a FSBO nor would I really expect them too.   I know some will work with agents but many will not.  For me if I am going to spend a couple of hundred thousand dollars or more I would know where every house for sale was, especially if it were a small town.  I know that is an agents job but then again it is my money.  

apollonius, I'm sorry to jump in on the side of the evil Realtors...but I've been in the business most of my life, and I'd just like to make a point here.

As with ANY group, there are good people selling real estate, and bad people as well.  Not to  say that anyone is at fault here, but your Realtor should have at least been clear that you wanted her to go around the area knocking on doors to find her a home.  (Of course, if she would have done that she would have been in trouble for prospecting for listings, or for trying to sell you her listings, but...)

Bottom line here is that you and your Realtor are a team.  If you have a mechanic that works on your car for you, do you make sure you tell him any information you get about your car?  Or do you fire him when he doesn't find the problem that was right in front of him all along, because he should have known.

In your quest for more properties around your area, you'll eventually need to work with Realtors again, and when you do, I hope you'll pass on your past experiences so they can act accordingly!

Best Regards
Jim Allyn
Allyn and Associates
Apache Junction, AZ

Back off "Big Boy". You have issues. You brought me to the carpet.  Most anyone would not work with you. You do not know me and I offer an other way yet you keep ranting. YOU are the issue not the REALTOR. Say one more word about my trade and me as a man and you may really get pissed. I think you are just a off the wall man that does not have his ducks in a row. Truth be known.., YOU GOT NO DUCKS ! Now you met a real.. Real Estate Agent ! YOU are the issue. I would fire YOU ! Your mind may not be closed.., it just was never able to be open. Never again make a coment about my honesty unless you have the time to back it up. I will put 20 people on my side as a good man. I bet you have one. YOU !

Baby was sick??? Do you have kids? Should we just throw ours to the side for you.., Well Yes.. Ofcourse..,we have no lfe and will show you RE as our kids die. Man you are off the chart. They need to throw you off this site !

Please.. someone get this man off of this site or I will stop paying to help my people sell and read this junk. I have been on here one day and if this is the type of person we deal with that has an IQ less than his fingers I have paid well for what ? Some "self centered BOY" to vent about him being not fair? People have told him to fire his agent.., get a new one.., everything.., yet he does this on this site ? Read the rules for posting. He is off or I am. I live to a higher standard than he does.

As the other agents said, not every agent knows about every FSBO because we generally look into the MLS.  Most of the time FSBO's do not list their house there.  The owners may just put a sign up and all realtors don't drive up and down every street looking for signs on houses.  Therefore, it may just have been an oversight. 

Did you call her and say "Hi, I'd like to see the house that's FSBO on xx street?" and she said "no"? Or did you just decide she did it on purpose and fire her?

"someone get this man off of this site or I will stop paying to help my people sell and read this junk. I have been on here one day and if this is the type of person we deal with that has an IQ less than his fingers I have paid well for what ?...People have told him to fire his agent.., get a new one.., everything..Read the rules for posting. He is off or I am."

What are you talking about. Zillow Advice is free so if you are paying to post in the forum you are getting a really bad deal. This poster was obviously upset. Although I am sure that you never get upset since you "live to a higher standard than he does", other people do get angry at times. If people have an agent that is not fitting their needs, they should thank them and move on. There is no reason to find that offensive as a professional since there are plenty of posts in the sea.

I agree 100%.

Profile picture for apollonius
Jamie,

The point is as a realtor you should be able to provide more than a search through the MLS. I can do that just fine - got fingers and everything to do so. I have access to the property records, etc. So - for me (this may not be true of everyone) the value that a realtor provides is information on the area I can not get for myself, either because I do not have the resources she does or because I do not have the time to gather that information.

If she can't provide that service there is really no reason to keep her on. And if she can't provide that service and I am under the impression that she is providing that service I'm less likely to keep an eye out for interesting houses that aren't in the MLS.  So, again - she gives me no value added service that I can point to and say "well, that was totally worth it."

I'm actually pro-realtor, pro-travel agent *when* the person providing that service does something for me that I am unable to do for myself. Maybe the average person isn't very computer savvy, maybe they don't know how to get the property records -- whatever. However, if a realtor's (bother buyer and seller) fees are going to run into the 60k+ range, I feel that they need to be providing some real value added work. Not just showing a house, something I'm very capable of doing myself. 

Whatever the reason, this person failed to provide me that service. That's the end of our relationship as far as I'm concerned. 

John, I've mentioned having husband. This is usually (given the world's current political tenor, and statistics) a fine indication that I am of the female persuasion. You're either not very strong in the area of reading comprehension, or sexist (for assuming that someone who uses strong words is male - goodness knows a woman would never write that way). Perhaps you operate under some misguided belief that I would find you mistaking me for a male an insult. Whatever the reason I wouldn't want you working for me. By all means leave zillow - I am sure there are others to take your place. 

Profile picture for apollonius
.

double post.

bother=both.

Apollonius, do what you must do.  You seem to strive for perfection and must be surrounded by people who do not make mistakes. I think that since there are not too many perfect people around, you should do it alone. I am a Realtor and offer no excuses.  You're mind is made up and no matter what anybody says, it will come out as an excuse for less than perfect service.  Be it!  The best of luck as you navigate real estate on your own. 

Profile picture for workabee
Perfect my shiny behiney. They're just honest about wanting a professional not a poser. You chalking it up as their need for perfection is an excuse.

I have been following a little and going back to the start I don't know what the problem is with the commission. When a buyer/broker agreement is signed in most cases the buyer by contract will pay the Realtor® compensation if the seller does not. I am sorry that you missed out on the perfect home even though you never viewed it. 
Please do not judge all people by the way you perceive the actions of one person.  

The Agent may have known that the FSBO didn't suit you for any number of reasons. Did you even ask the lowly subhuman that you hired to help you about the house, or did you just fire them? The house you saw, may be occupied by Cat lovers, who are not litter box lovers, or some thing like that.

Profile picture for klarek the realist
In this thread: Realtors trying to defend an agent that willfully neglected to mention or show a house in her neighborhood that she HAD to know was for sale, let alone highly appealing to her client, all because she would risk having to fight for her exorbitant commission.

Sorry folks, there's no defense for this garbage.  You can't have your industry constantly bombard us with propaganda talking about how an agent is looking out for for the buyers' interests when there is OBVIOUSLY a huge conflict of interest that will lead to instances like this happening all the time.  Also worth mentioning: the "extra" commission a seller will pay an agent, not listed on portions of the MLS available to us dumb schmucks that are trusting you.

Scams and Fraud
Profile picture for Michael Emery
Latest reply by Michael Emery
  • Posted by Russ Hatfield Jr.
  • In Home Buying
Bypass the Buyers Agent and Win!!!
Profile picture for joe4562
Latest reply by joe4562
Why you should "NOT" buy a Bonadelle (De Young) (McCaffrey) Home.
Profile picture for susie betancur
Latest reply by susie betancur
buying a home
Profile picture for kmwall08
Latest reply by kmwall08
Can a buyer put multiple offers?
Latest reply by user4364299
July 23 | 8 answers