Profile picture for pinksandbaby

Please tell me EVERY first time homebuyer discount you can think of!

Seriously, every single one. 

My bro and sister in law found a house today (in CT) and are ready to buy.  They are working w/ a mortgage pro, but I know this is such a smart group (no sarcasm, I'm dead serious) that I would love to hear anything you can add that s/he may not think of/know.  Thanks in advance!
  • January 17 2009 - Mobile
  • 0

Thanks Joe! :)
I haven't been around much lately, Pinks. I'll email you :)

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
Joe, I speak to Jennifer, I gave them her number, but I'll try again.  Our cousin is his agent and she recommend someone to them.  I recommended Jennifer.  I haven't "seen" her, but feel free to have her email me privately.  They are good to go, but need someone to help navigate.  If she can email me some info that would be helpful, it could help me be more persuasive in getting them to contact her.  Thanks!

Have them contact this person.  If there are any breaks to be had in CT she will know.

CT's Best

Good question! Despite the dismal state of the loan industry, first time home buyers are encouraged to look at government grants. These products come and go but remain available in most states. In Arizona, for instance, we have Community Development Block Grants, Home Investment Partnership Programs, Low Income Housing Tax Credit Programs and others. Get your Google on, girl!

Profile picture for Bentley Advisors
Out here in CA, we use escrow companies for closings.  Not sure if that's true in CT.  Most title&escrow companies out here offer pretty substantial discounts on their fees for 1st time homebuyers simply upon request.  It wouldn't hurt to ask the title company AND whomever handles escrow/closings.

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
Thanks so much!  They are not low-income, so I'm sure they wouldn't qualify.  The tax credit is nice, and the closing costs are a good idea too.  Thanks so much, feel free to add if you think of anything else!

Profile picture for fhaloansspecialist

There are not any discounts that I am aware of; however, you do have a first time homebuyer's tax credit if they are buying this year (7,500) This is done at tax time though with their CPA.  You can tell them to ask that the seller pay their closing costs so all they would need is their 3.5% downpayment.  There are some organizations that will match your contribution if you go through their programs (this is normally for people who are low income and need assistance)  Many lenders are backing away from these groups in today's market though.  The IRS has also striped many of their non-profit status due to profitability.