Profile picture for rga3053

Please tell me about Wilmington

We have three sons, ages 9,7 and 3. Interested in a community with other families, good schools, safe, sense of community. Can you please recommend towns/developments/schools? I've been told Myrtle Grove is nice. For what its worth, we are relocating from New England.
Many thanks for your help. My email is rga3053@yahoo.
  • April 14 2009 - Wilmington
  • 0

You are going to love it here.  I was born and raised here and never get tired of telling newcomers how fasinating the state of North Carolina is, especially Wilmington!  Myrtle Grove is a nice area; really beautifil neighborhoods and good schools.  Here are a few links to help you get started on your research!

http://www.thelanierpropertygroup.com/neighborhoods/
http://www.nhcs.net/
http://www.wilmingtonnc.gov/
http://www.nhcgov.com/Pages/Home.aspx

Best of Luck to you and your family on your move!

Sincerely,
Leann

Profile picture for Ian Rosenbaum
One of the most respected and desired elementary schools in Wilmington is Parsley Elementary. I have prepared a search website for all of the 3BR homes in this school district priced under $400,000 which you can access by clicking on the link below. If you would like to further refine or change the criteria used in this search let me know and I would be happy to take care of it for you.

Homes in Parsley Elementary School District up to $400K

Have a great day!

There is a neighborhood based website that I built that represents 167 neighborhoods so far.  Since you can search by map you can zoom in on the Myrtle Grove, Masonboro, Pine Valley and other areas of the city.  You can then limit by price, schools, HOA amenities, HOA costs, Is there an HOA, size of homes, age of neighborhood etc.

http://www.focusmattersrealty.com/index.php

Profile picture for jimmyjamed
It used to be great, but around 1995 the yankees started moving in and now it's miserable. Traffic has become a nightmare in the past few years and most of the people in the city government don't have the sense God gave a watermelon.
Most of the people I grew up with can't afford to buy a house due to the high prices.
So, if you love bad traffic, a high cost of living, and mediocre pay come on down.
My house will be for sale before long 'cause i'm gettin' outta here!!!

You might try asking about small local areas on www.city-data.com. They segment questions by zip code and you may be more likely to be able to talk to a resident there about their thoughts. I have not seen many regular posters from NC lately, but Zillow is a great place for everything else from buying, to getting a mortgage etc. They are just a little short on NC posters at the moment. I hope if you find the info you will consider coming back to be a source of helpful NC info sometimes :) You might also consider craigslist for that Wilmington. If you do that, I would set up a separate email at yahoo or gmail to protect your privacy, but many people might be willing to give you a paragraph or two about good areas and price ranges.

Profile picture for richjen
Just wondering if you found what you are looking for in Wilmington area. I have a family of five also looking to move to that area and need some input before we visit. Did you like Pine Valley or Myrtle Grove? Any info would help. Thanks. richjen95@aol.com

Profile picture for momalot
We lived in Myrtle grove for a few years.  It's an okay area, but is building up quickly. Pine Valley is a nice area. Great schools.  You can look on the district web site for more info. (search New Hanover County Schools.  It really depends on how much you want to spend on your new house.  Pine Valley is close to alot. Large variety of house styles. (and prices.) Good luck!!