Please update my house information. It is correct on our tax records but not zillow. THANK YOU!!

My address is: 1216 North 47th Street. Seattle WA 98103.

Parcel number: 6865200585

http://www.metrokc.gov/Assessor/eSales/Welcome.asp

The King County (seattle, wa) records for 2007 accurately reflect the sq footage, number of bedrooms and bathrooms; however, it is not correct on Zillow. Please update your information with the accurate information from the tax records.

Thank you very much for your time.

• June 13 2008 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for oddman

you would be better with the wrong info.   At least buyers would think the value was off because of the wrong info and not that your house was worth less.

Kim-

You can change your information in a few minutes on Zillow by claiming your home and updated the home facts. To start that process, please click the "claim your home" link in the left sidebar on your home details page - http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=49011694

Drew, thank you for your quick response.

I understand that I can claim my home on the Zillow site, but as a real estate professional I know that prospective buyers do not look at the owner "claimed" information with as much validity as the Zestimate provided by Zillow. The data I want updated is public record. You have our house as a 2bed/1bath and 1200 sq ft., but if you look at public records it is a 3 bed/2 bath with an additional 1200 sq feet.

I would very much appreciate you looking up our home's information on the public tax records, and updating your site to accurately reflect our home. I provided all the information in my orginal post.  

The result of updating the information should increase our Zestimate signifcantly because our square footage is almost twice as much as you have listed, and we have an additional bedroom and bath (again, it ia all on tax records as public information).  This is very important to us because as a Realtor I know firsthand how important the Zillow site is.

Thank you very much Drew. I appreciate your time! 

If you update your home facts, the Zestimate will take into account the updated facts for your home with the next update cycle (which will probably be next Monday).

Did the home facts recently get changed at the county office? We rely on 3rd party aggregators to feed us county tax assessor information, and we often only update that information once a year (since tax assessed values aren't constantly changing). The fact that public facts are sometimes incorrect or outdated is exactly the reason we gave owners and ability to edit their home facts.

I understand we are not displaying the home facts just as the county is, and I apologize for that. However, editing the home facts on Zillow will accomplish the same thing as having our database operators manually change the public facts stored in our database would have (and it can be accomplished a lot quicker by editing the facts directly).

Thank you Drew for your responses.

Yes, last year our home information was corrected with the county. I knew Zillow probably wouldn't be able to reflect the new information immediately, but since it is now half way through 2008 I was starting to think it wasn't ever going to get updated.

I will do it myself. Thank you.

Drew, please let me point out that Zillow is continuing to cite a 2006 value on our property in 80421 when the 2008 value has been available since the beginning of the year, not to mention last year's value was available all twelve months.  ??  Do they charge you more for CURRENT data?!

Kathy-

We're under contractual obligation to not disclose terms of our arrangements with our data providers, but I can say this -- there could be a number of different reasons that our data providers do not have the most recent assessor information for your county. Cost of data collection is certainly one of the factors in their decision making process. Another thing they have to consider is how many of their existing customers are willing to pay for assessment data for your county (not every customer buys data for the entire US like we do).

Profile picture for Alisande

Hey funny.. under agreement NOT to disclose terms of arrangements.  Sounds like someone is afraid they'll be sued.

THINK this through Alisande -- the vast, vast majority of business partnership contracts are not made public. This has nothing to do with getting sued, and everything to do with business strategy. There is no benefit to us or our data providers to disclosing the details of our contracts.

Drew,

After our correspondence on Friday, I felt really good about updating my home’s information with the expectation that on Monday, after the site was updated, that my Zestimate (1216 North 47th Street Seattle WA 98103) would go up. However, just the opposite happened! The Zestimate went down.

During the update yesterday, the formula must not have calculated the new data I put in. Please look into this and pass on my information to the technical team. If it would be faster for the technical team, I can also print off the tax information and drop it off at your office.

Thank you again for your time.

While it's important to note that different types of homes appreciate/depreciate at differing rates, doubling the square footage should be reflected in the zestimate. We have another tentatively planned zestimate update tomorrow -- if the zestimate doesn't seem to take the updated facts into account for that update, I can forward this on to our technical team.

Okay Drew, sounds good. I will hope that it updates tomorrow and if it doesn't I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

Drew, I am back again. The Zestimate didn't calculate the data even after the most recent update. The Zestimate even went down a little again.

Would you please pass this on to the technical team.

Thank you very much.

I apologize for the confusion, but I followed up with our data team on this and it was my mistake to set the expectation that your home's zestimate would change as a result of updating your square footage. The reasoning is that your home's zestimate is being driven strongly by your prior sale price in 2005, so the fact that our algorithm now knows that you have more square footage isn't having much of an impact on your home's zestimate.

Again, my apologies for setting the wrong expectation.

THINK, Drew.  What sense does it make that the zestimate doesn't change by an increase in square footage?

For that matter, what is the value of informing the public in 2008, what a property was worth in 2006 for tax assessment purposes?  

I appreciate all the hard work you are putting in for Zillow -- but it seems to be floating farther away from its initial mission, every second that goes by.  

Drew,

I understand that the sales price in 2005 should definitely be taken into account in the formula for calculating the Zestimate, but adding over 1200 sq ft of quality high end living space, and making sure it was properly recorded with the city, should also be taken into account in the Zestimate. We are paying more property taxes because the value of our house is more.

Could someone from your technical team please contact me at my email address. I am not going to attack the messenger but I am feeling very frustrated. 

Thank you Drew.

The biggest input to the zestimate formula on a particular home is the prior sales history. We know your home sold for $525,000 in 2005. That was what the home was worth at that time -- with 1,200 square feet or 2,400 square feet. For many homes with a recent sale in the last several years, we use a zestimate model that is heavily weighted on the sales value (we apply sales trends in your geographic area to your home) -- so extra square footage does not have a significant impact because it's only a minor piece of the algorithm for your home.

Profile picture for ejgallaher

"so extra square footage does not have a significant impact because it's only a minor piece of the algorithm for your home."

So, in other words, Zillow is the only real estate institution on the face of the earth that would make the claim that 'extra sq footage does not have a significant impact, because it's only a minor piece (?) of the algorithm for your home.

Thank you! This is a clear and unequivocal statement that Zillow's algrorithms are sheer and total nonsense! I believe your statement, that sq ft is indeed a minor piece of Zillow's algorithm. The PROBLEM is that EVERY ONE ELSE ON THE PLANET agrees that sq footage is, and MUST BE a HUUUUGE part of any algrorithm for property values.

???!

Drew,

Please have the technical team remove all "Owner Facts" and replace it with the original "Public Facts."

I did the owner facts with the assumption from you that the Zestimate was going to increase due to the increase in sq footage, bedrooms, bath, etc. However, if the Zestimate isn't going to increase, I want our home to be shown as it originally was, a 2 bedroom/ 1 bath. That way when we sell the home it can at least explain the low Zestimate.

Profile picture for Alisande

I'm sorry for the original poster.  They like the rest of us were used and financially hurt by Zillow.  People DO NOT CLAIM your homes and don't click on their ads.  It's the only way we can make this horrible site go away.  Well that and talking to the Government.  Call your State and local Reps.  NOW

Ejgallaher-

That statement does not apply across the board -- realize we use thousands of different models and you can't assume that just because one home is discounting square footage means that square footage is not factored into the zestimate. The fact is that the home referenced in this thread has a prior sale -- if we knew that the home has 2,440 square feet in 2005, it would not change the fact that the home sold for $525,000.

Seattlerain-

Realize that the home facts about a home are a fact. A Zestimate is not a fact, it is an opinion of value. When you're selling your home, facts are more important than an opinion of value calculated by a website. Regarding your request, it looks like you've already edited your home facts.

Profile picture for ejgallaher

Drew -

In the interest of full disclosure, I will mention to others that you, David, and I talked for about an hour last week regarding some of these issues. I appreciated the opportunity to speak with you, and to some extent, it seemed that certain issues were making more sense than they had before. At this point, however, I think I am back to square one. There are many different examples of concrete and specific question, which unequivocally identify glaring, blatant 'material errors' (accounting jargon for "Yes, this really does matter!)

Examples include:

• Multiple houses in the same subdivision, built at the same time, by the same builder, same square footage, with very similar floorplans and amenities, with radically differing Zestimates, and/or  trends from one house to the other. See the thread by earnestlee as a prime example. He/she has apparently looked up ALL 56 homes in the subdivision (how many hours did this take?). Quote: "MY CURRENT ZESTIMATE IS $257/SQFT WHILE THE AVERAGE ZESTIMATE IN MY DEVELOPMENT IS $326/SQFT!
  • At $257/sq ft, this house is worth $544K. At $326/sq ft it would be worth $689K. I don't know about your financial circumstances, but for most of us, this difference is 'material'.

Profile picture for ejgallaher

cont.

• You can say "This is only an estimate" until you''re blue in the face. I agree; 'it is only an estimate'. The questions before us now are: (i) To what extent does this estimate have any basis in reality? (ii) Does the estimated pass the 'back-of-the-envelope test, i.e. does it seem to be at least subjectively 'believable' based on crude estimates and comparisons? (iii) Given the fact that 'it is only an estimate', how good is it, and to what extent does it provide useful, or conversely, misleading information?
  • Can you provide a simple answer to a bluntly simple question? (I don't know how to formulate anything simpler!) Does square feet matter, or does it not?
  • If sq ft matter matter (which, of course, EVERYONE KNOWS IT DOES), then the Zestimates described by earnestlee must by definition be BLATANTLY INCORRECT. (If you claim this is due to a reliance on some black magic 'recent sales', then your algorithm is OBVIOUSLY WRONG!
  • If sq ft do not matter, then why do you publish $/sq ft on the front page of every home you list?????
  • Finally, your answer above: "We know your home sold for $525,000 in 2005. That was what the home was worth at that time -- with 1,200 square feet or 2,400 square feet."  WHATTTT???
  • These values would either DOUBLE, OR CUT IN HALF, the $/sq ft estimate that YOU place on the page for this house.
  • I have never seen such unmitigated nonsense in my entire life. If it didn't matter, I'd just laugh it off. But it DOES MATTER!

Drew,

PLEASE put back on the public facts. I have removed all owner information and I want to have it back with the public information.

My reason being is when prospective buyer come through our house they will see that it is obviously not a 2 bedroom and will then understand why the Zestimate is so much lower than the asking price. If we say that it is a 3 bedroom/2 bath on Zillow, and the Zestimate is still low, then they will think the home is overpriced.

As a Realtor, I am well aware that Zillow is just an opinion, but am also well aware how often it comes up in negotiation discussions.

Please just put back the public information and I will not press this issue anymore.

Drew, please put back the public facts information.

Drew, I just checked again and the site still lists all the public facts under the heading "owner facts."  These are not my facts. Please update the site with the heading "public facts."

Just to remind you my address is: 1216 N. 47th Street Seattle WA 98103.

Drew, also ALL "edited" facts should be removed.

BOTTOM LINE -- I want it to be listed on the website as though I never touched it.  It should say nothing about owner facts, owner details, owner information, etc.