Profile picture for la457

Polished Concrete Floors

Has anyone done this and do you like it?  Seems sort of industrial but should be easy to take care of and practically indestructible.  I was thinking of doing this instead of tile and just using area rugs.

• August 16 2008 - US
  • 1

Profile picture for Stitchs Mom

I am having it installed in my house. Actually the concrete has been in for a few weeks, it just needs to be stained and sealed. I think it is beautiful. As far as durability goes, I not sure it is more durable than ceramic tile. Since I've had the concrete poured it amazes me all the little things the installer says not to do. I guess it is more durable after it is sealed. You may also want to consider stamped concrete. A friend of mine has this in several rooms of her house and it is great. Its just a personal preference. I will post back next week after my floor gets finished.

Profile picture for FlooredAgain

Check out the staining products from Ardex Cements. (www.ardex.com).  Look under "Toppings and Designer Floors".  These products need to be professionally installed but you will achieve a one of a kind look that can be as conservative and traditional or as contemporary as you want. Just another suggestion.

Profile picture for la457

I have been looking at the various finishes available and some of them are very different.  If I do this I will probably do something pretty neutral and rely on the furnishings for stlye.  That way I can change the look without changing the floor.  I've seen finishes that look like tile as well.  And some seriously wild metallics as well.

Stitchs Mom, do post about the finished product.

Profile picture for mbabe

Would what you folks are suggesting be good for a partially finished concrete basement? Instead of my tiling it?

Profile picture for LLI Services

I have stained concrete overlay in every room of my house. Extremely durable. Cure times and sealers are important though. It's great for basements too.

My neighbor just finished a remodel and had his concrete floors stained and polished. They look really pretty. Not industrial more like leather or something. I was expecting a hard look, but it is really clean looking yet organic feeling. I really like the way it turned out--makes me want to do that myself in my spare room.

Profile picture for julia111

a family memeber did the concrete stain through out the whole house. It looked like polished marbel when they were done. Its the most beautiful, bullet proof floor ever.  They did it it in hues of green and browns.Just awesome.

Profile picture for _7_
  • _7_

I am considering having a concrete floor installed in my upstairs bathroom as an alternative to tile also.  Did the OP or any of you responders price compare?

That photo looks *great*, LLI Services.  What kind/color of stain is that?

Profile picture for la457

I think the picture looks great.  With the right furnishings, those floors would go with anything.  I like bulletproof!

Profile picture for LLI Services

Thanks for the compliments! "_7_" The stain is brown oxide.

wow! that looks like leather! i guess that ain't your father's concrete!

Profile picture for jzparker

I looked into having my basement done and the guy wanted $8 per square foot.  This seemed pretty expensive to me.  I like the look.  One of my friends had it done in his garage.  They used a dark green tint and it looks really nice.  Make sure you get an acid stain.  The latex stains don't look anywhere near as nice.   

Profile picture for la457

There's for sure some skill involved in doing this.  I went to see a house for sale, all excited because they had polished concrete floors throughout.  It looked awful.  Sort of like they had spread used oil all over the floor, then added a couple coats of varnish.  Not a good look!

If you want a no maintenance floor you need to have it top coated with a "hardner and densifier" . Same thing they use on home depot floors which are polished to around 800.  If you desire a more glossy deeper look go with a clear epoxy followed by a floor wax.  If you want a color/stain go with an acid stain or an acetone dye. 

The main thing is to hire a contractor that you trust and let them use the products they use everyday and don't try to encourage them to use something they're not use to.  There are a lot of good products on the market for what you want to do.

Profile picture for Staresce

It is beautiful but I wonder if its slippery if it gets wet? We have shiny tile in some parts of this house and once it got wet and I slipped and fell and hurt myself. I was wondering if its possible to make it no slip like some tile surfaces are ?

Lisa

Profile picture for la457

Yes, it can be totally non slip.  Even some of the sort of shiny surface finishes are non slip.

Profile picture for LLI Services

I wouldn't say "non-slip" but rather "slip resistant".

Profile picture for Anita Hug

Why would you want this?

Profile picture for la457

It lasts forever, is easy to clean, and low maintenence.  I would use area rugs to soften the look that could be washed or cleaned as necessary.  I have 2 dogs and it's amazing how much dirt they can track in to a carpeted room.  Carpets just don't last and stay looking nice.  Polished concrete would stay nice 4 ever.

Profile picture for Mona Lott

This just screams cheap to me.

Profile picture for gvw3
  • gvw3

I want to do this in my basement. I have seen it done and It looks real cool..

Profile picture for julia111

If its done right , It looks just like a solid slab of marble or polished stone.

I have seen lots highend homes with the concrete floors its very nice.

You have to see it to believe it. I hope my next home has a concrete slab foundation, or I can have the concrete floated over. I am sick of taking care of wood floors and stone tile. Concrete is super easy to maintain.

Profile picture for grt8day

Can someone tell me what advantage this has price wise? I think it looks great. It would definitely look much better than the dusty rose carpet in our soon to be --- house.

Profile picture for la457

It's not cheap.  It's pretty comparable to good tile.  The real savings happens over time.  You don't have to replace it.

Profile picture for Staresce

Yeah but you dont have to replace most tile either.... and concrete can crack right? What about porcelain tile that is supposed to be strong?

Lisa

Profile picture for julia111

My dear hubby dropped a beer can out of the fridge, and cracked our commercial grade,  poreclain tile in our old house. The concrete can crack but it can be filled. I just like the way this looks. My sis house had floors like this.They never cracked.

Profile picture for Jon Petersen

If the concrete floors are existing and a year old or more, there will probably not be anymore cracks later. The large majority of cracks in foundations is from initial shrinking while it is curing. The next largest cause of cracks is settleing. However, if there are cracks already in your slab, they can be used to add more charachter to the floors.

Acid stains will typically look the best, but be sure to use someone very experienced. You get what you pay for, and there are alot of ways someone can screw up your floors. Colors come out wrong, sealers can peel, bubble, chip and get foggy if done by the cheap guy. I know everyone says this, but it cant be said too many times, get referrals, check licenses, and follow through with seeing the work they have actually done. Research done in advance will save you thousands in repairs of a poor job, and a big headache.

Profile picture for la457

Hey Lisa!  I agree this stuff is pretty comparable to good tile but here's what always happens to me.  I tile something and save the extras.  Over time and life in general, I use them up or break them.  Then the day comes when I break a tile and can't replace it.  No one has matching tile anymore.  It's all long gone out of stock.  I either have to live with tile that doesn't match or redo the whole job.

Profile picture for la457

Just for example, the house I bought has beautiful tile in the kitchen/dining area.  It's in perfect condition.  But I have NO extras and can't find any more of this tile.  If I could, I would just tile the whole house.  My choices are to either put in a different tile in the rest of the home or rip out the tile I have and finish the concrete slab or retile in something else.

Nicely done concrete floors can be beautiful and very low maintenance.  If you get tired of them later, you can always go with tile then.  Be sure to use an experienced person/company to do the work, and check out some of their other jobs.

1. 1
  2. 2