Possible RENTAL SCAM SAN MATEO

1752 Dewey St., San Mateo,CA 94403 - I'm very concerned about this property being a scam.  Please research! To good to be true.
Owner states he lives in Manilla, Philippines now and wants to rent this home. RED FLAGS!!
  • September 11 2012 - San Mateo
  • 0

Thank you BOTH for confirming my suspicions! 

It's a bummer because I would love to rent or purchase a home within that range for a mortgage but this kinda thing is horrible to do to honest folks!

Thank you again!
Tamar

You are right. This is a scam. I just checked the MLS and 1752 Dewey St in a short sale that is currently under contract for sale. This is NOT a rental.

I recently had the same thing happen to me. I have a listing at 302 S. Humboldt St in San Mateo. It's for sale at $699k. Some tool gank'd my html code off of craigslist and reposted my code and images as a rental for $750 a month. Obviously, that rental price is way low for the area. They were then trying to collect personal info of people that responded to the add.

Those overseas scam artists are getting trickier by the day.

Good Catch!

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. This rental scam is quite common nowadays. Be thorough, perform your due diligence and DON'T GIVE ANYONE ANY MONEY UPFRONT until you have seen the inside of the home and have satisfied yourself that it is not a scam. I had a client just recently that sent me an email she had received after inquiring into a too good to be true rental property. It was full of grammatical errors,  an international phone number and a form asking for personal information. To be safe, enlist the assistance of a local realtor. I'm sure there are plenty in your area that would be glad to help you.
Best of luck!