Possible for individual with no background in real estate sales to enter commercial real estate?

I am very interested in becoming a commercial real estate agent. While I do not have a background in residential or commercial real estate sales, I do have property management experience, specifically, simultaneous oversight of multiple apartment complexes. Also, I do not have a four year degree (roughly two years of college, good gpa; not that it matters without the degree) but my next goal is to pursue CCIM certification in order to gain fundamental knowledge of the industry and, hopefully, set my self apart from the average agent. Is finding entry level employment in commercial real estate sales possible/likely given my circumstances and plan?  

November 06 2012 - US

It's absolutely possible! The biggest thing I would tell you is find a good mentor in commercial real estate who will work with and train you! Start building relationships with others in the commercial real estate business.

Be patient though; it won't happen overnight.

For more info about building your business and getting started as a commercial agent check out this real estate business building and marketing course: www.myrealestateroadmap.com

Its largely based on relationships in real estate.  Even more so in with commercial.  You will be working with cash flow, rate of income, triple net leases etc.  I'd say its easier to get started with residential but follow your passion.  If you want it enough you can make it happen, just make sure you have a cushion of several months before you start.  Commercial deals typically take a lot longer to close that an average residential deal.  Pursuing your CCIM is a good place to start.  Make sure to have some good mentors and you'll do well, especially since you have the property management experience already.  Best of luck!!

Thanks for all of the information and support from those who responded to my inquiry. Very valuable and greatly appreciated.

Commercial real estate is a highly numbers and relationship driven business.  If you have a strong grasp of accounting, cash flows and values then you have a good start.  CCIM is a wonderful way to learn what you need to know.  Many of the larger commercial brokerages will have mentor programs as well.  Just understand that commercial real estate is dog eat dog and no brokerage is going to feed you.

You have a useful background for commercial real estate it seems to me.  Any real estate property with 5 or more "units" is considered commercial.  If you enter the world of commercial I would try to start out with those types of properties, and then ease into other kinds (ie retail, etc) once you are comfortable with what you already kind-of know.

Best wishes from So-Cal and good luck

Although degress tend to produce higher caliber agents at the end of the day nothing really matters other then your work ethic, ability to build and maintain relationships, ability to handle stress, and ability to sell. 

In addition if you are not on a salary, you need to make sure you have the reserves to live comfortably. Commercial sales like most real estate take time to close. Even if you work hard you it is a possibility to not close a deal for 6-12 months. If you can't close one in that time, its probably time to consider another industry.