Profile picture for lidor7

Post your two cents: Best eats in U-District

Let's share what we consider some of the best places to eat in U-District. Here are my favorites:

For value, Pho is always a top choice. Than (sp?) Brothers down near 42nd is my favorite Pho place to go. Jack in the Box is always an option (doesn't get much cheaper than building a meal out of the dollar menu). Aladdin's Gyro-cery serves up $5 jumbo Gyros. I prefer the one north of 45th, but the one down the Ave as a surprisingly large and impressive (for the Ave) dining area.

Moving up a step, Jewel of India is probably my overall favorite place to eat on the Ave. It may look a little run down compared to some of the other crowded and overly popular Indian restaurants like Cedars or Shalimar, but it's run by this very friendly Indian woman and (presumably) her husband. The curry is very excellent, comes in large portions, and is served with unlimited rice. One curry entree can serve two people if you like a good amount of rice with your curry. I recommend the Chicken Tikka Masala. I won't let them take away the dish of curry until I've literally wiped it clean with a piece of nan.

Chipotle serves tasty burritos. And the new Pam's Kitchen serves the completely unique Trinidadian food. It seems mildly overpriced to me, but the booming business suggests otherwise.

For a nice date, Mama Melina is pretty much THE italian restaurant to go to in U-District. Further up Roosevelt, though, I tasted some of the best pasta I've ever had at Marcello's.

July 13 2007 - University District

Profile picture for Jarf
There are a couple of excellent options on University between 41st and 43rd. I recommend either Phad Thai at Thai-ger Room or a Brat and beer from Shultzy's Sausage.

Profile picture for Jerry Ostradicky
If you're trying to get something cheap and late, you can't go wrong with A Pizza Mart up on l48th, they always have a slice of pizza waiting for you.

If you are trying for something a little more upscale, I agree with Jarf about the Thai-ger room, but also a great place is the Mongolian Grill.

Anybody been to the new Greek place kind of by Jack in the Box? That place seems like it could be pretty good.

Than Brothers is great, U District or Green Lake.  Dick's is aaaalmost U district.

I was always a big fan of Flowers.  I know it burnt down a while back.  Did it ever get rebuilt?  I haven't been over there in years.  For cheap, I also liked Aladdin's Falafel Corner.  I'm vegetarian though so that dictates my taste in restaurants.

Amen to Jarf's rec for Shultzy's.  Great food and atmosphere.  It's across the Ave and south of the Starbucks @ 42nd.

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
how sad that jack in the box + chipotle rated spots under "best eats" in any district...

Best Farmer's Market
Profile picture for Jen Pells
Latest reply by Jen Pells
Profile picture for NTETS
Latest reply by NTETS
April 27 2009 | 6 answers
Find the shortest route to class
SeattleONE volunteer opportunity

1. 4719-A 9th Ave NE, Seattle, WA Home For Sale
    4719-A 9th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105

2. 4540 8th Ave NE APT 2205, Seattle, WA Home For Sale
    4540 8th Ave NE APT 2205, Seattle, WA 98105

3. 1713 NE 56th St, Seattle, WA Home For Sale
    1713 NE 56th St, Seattle, WA 98105