Power of Attorney for Signing House Sale Documents (continue from previous question)

This is in continuation to my above question. Thanks for the replies to my previous question.

Question:

If spouse is in different country then is it necessary to notarize POA at American Consulate in that country or it can be notarized at any other competent notary in that country?.

In my case American consulate is far away from the city where my spouse lives and cannot travel that much.

Please reply considering that I am selling my condo in the state of Michigan.

Thanks in advance.

• September 20 2013 - US
  • 0

I had a client in the same situation. Her husband (who didn't have claim to the home) lived in another country. My title company worked up the necessary paperwork, we sent it to her husband and he snail mailed it back to me. As I recall he just went to a notary within the area (probably at a bank) and not a consulate. But the original has to come back to title - not an email or fax version. If you're close to closing, I would suggest having it sent overnight.

Where you are doesn't matter for this one, il mio amico, it's where your wife is. If she speaks the native language, then she can find a local English-writing notary (google). The title company can give her a PDF of the POA form, which can be printed out anywhere, but the signed form has to be wet-signed and delivered to the closing agent.